What is your art? How do you create?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

What type of art do you create?

Do you do it for a living?

What are your tools?

I am a musician and a photographer

I wish I could do it for a living, but alas, I do it to feel alive.

I play mostly guitar, in addition to the 1897 8" Steinway Grand Piano my wife got me 4 years ago for Christmas.

Taylor 714CE

Larrivee DV-09 Custom

Olson SJ

I record on my Powerbook with ProTools, but I just started using GarageBand and I love it!

I shoot with a Nikon D70 using assorted lenses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i do a lot of things:

-photography

-video (and everything else you can do with video)

-guitar

-sound mixing

i make my money with video (filming, editing, motion graphics, dvd authoring). i dont do much photography anymore. i've been playing guitar for about a year and only recently started recording stuff and mixing it.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Graphic Design:

550MHZ TiBook & Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5

each with Photoshop CS, Image Ready CS, Illustrator CS, InDesign CS, QuarkXPress, Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, BBEdit, Fontlab, PageMaker, GoLive CS, Director MX, Freehand 10

Photography:

Canon EOS Rebel K2 w/lenses

Illustration:

A whole fleet of pens, pencils, architectural markers, paints... etc.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    i am a musician, a writer, and a videographer.

i play oboe, clarinet, keyboard, drums, and guitar. i love drums the most. i play mainly hand drums, but i can work my way around a set.

i write, but not as often as i used to, mainly lyrics.

i used to mess around with videography, but i haven't really had a chance to as of late.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am too lazy to make painting, and I mostly enjoy photography.

I have a 20 D and several lenses, and I post processed them in PS7 but in the respect of the original scene.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I am in the business of, among other things, designing plastic enclosures for electronic devices. Some are cool, some are boring. For fun (at times) I model things in 3D, usually comic-book sci-fi stuff for kicks, but sometimes more interesting subjects. I use Photoshop for compositing. I'm working on a special technique that involves epoxy and metal dust for putting texture and reflection onto a printed graphic, but it's har to get very far when you spend a lot of at work (which I do like), and when epoxy use seems to require a respirator that I don't have yet.

I used to develop my own photo prints, but that doesn't seem to be necessary anymore, thanks to digital photography and thanks to the fact that I've lost some interest in photography. I like illustrative art forms the most, and what I would try to achieve in photography (set-up shots) can be better achieved artificially in 3D.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    I am a synthetic chemist. I make molecules (and draw abstract art all the time).
  • Reply 7 of 20
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I write responses to literature. And take some pictures on the side.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I'm a photographer and a 8 minute movie maker and a recent Mac convert and it sure does make both task much easier. I'm still a pc head too, but a full switch could be in the future.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    "I am in the business of, among other things, designing plastic enclosures for electronic devices."

The real kim kap sol?

(Only AI vets will get this one)
  • Reply 10 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

1897 8" Steinway Grand Piano my wife got me 4 years ago for Christmas.

Wow, talk about a toy piano
  • Reply 11 of 20
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Anyway, I make music primarily, http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Wrao/ is where you can find that music. Some of it's actually pretty decent if you ask me, but most of it is pretty ridiculous.

I have a keen eye for photography, but less in the shots and more in the development/darkroom process. Though I haven't really done much photo in a while, I'm sure I could still make a decent print.

I tinker in Photoshop and have produced some neat things, but typically I don't know what I'm doing really, so bleh.

I can't draw for shit so I don't even pretend there. In the past I did tinker with 3d art, though it was all pretty shitty.

I also love word play and messing with the english language.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'm currently in a band the dopes I sing, play guitar and write songs. I also like to mess around with a sampler and do some electronic type stuff, but that's not ready for prime time yet.

When I'm not doing music I take a lot of photographs with my new Pentax ist ds which I absolutely love. Twice a week I take a silk screening class and make prints from photos I've taken that are bitmapped in Photoshop and then printed out onto transparency paper with a laser printer.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

I wish I could do it for a living, but alas, I do it to feel alive.

That sums it up pretty well. In my spare time I write movie scripts, take photographs and make movies. My biggest project was CH7 , one of the first feature length movies released under the Creative Commons License. Since the relase of this movie I'm involved in spreading the Creative Commons idea.

For my photography I use a Canon EOS 300D with several lenses and iPhoto (Photoshop very rarely). My movies are done using different cams (I'm currently testing the JVC GR-PD1) and Final Cut Pro HD.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I play bass in my spare time (not in a band or anything). I've done a little recording in GarageBand, but nothing I'd share with anyone.

This is my favorite bass at the moment:

http://dtibs.home.comcast.net/Bass_P...ongo_Front.jpg

I do some photography using my Canon Digi-Rebel (300D) with the stock 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. I take mostly outdoor shots but I did put together an iPhoto book of a Thanksgiving get together that came out pretty cool.

I do computer programming as well. Some people might not consider this an art but hey, they're entitled to their opinion.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I do computer programming as well. Some people might not consider this an art but hey, they're entitled to their opinion.

Perhaps it depends the way you do it
  • Reply 16 of 20
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Perhaps it depends the way you do it

Usually late at night, in the nude or wearing a housecoat, but I don't see how that would define programming as art.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Many of my friends consider me to be a writer, I have written for a lot of magazines, taken part in the creation of many books, created and led to the brink of destruction many literary magazines, was a participant in many poetic nights, was a musician when I was younger, still play the guitar when I feel like it, currently write a novel which is about 2/3 done, have been encouraged by many to publish my almost 2,000 poems and almost 4,000 pages of what I call 'Excerpts From a Madman's Life', was a journalist briefly, currently do some video work, write more poetry, write a movie scenario, but I wouldn't say I do Art. Art does Me. I do it whenever I want to lose touch with reality, when I want to escape from the 'Unbearable lightness of being' (Kundera), or when I feel like I want to blaze up a doobie. But I don't. I do this other stuff instead and lose my head worse then if I blazed up a doobie.

If I sound confused, that's because I am.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac on a Mac

"I am in the business of, among other things, designing plastic enclosures for electronic devices."

The real kim kap sol?

(Only AI vets will get this one)

Hah. I am not Korean, nor do I fit the bill. Kim Kap Sol was in the plastic molding an manufacturing business, hence his signature "I'm making plastics." I'm on the design side, and am actually an electrical engineer according to my degree. The fact that I know exactly what needs to go into a device makes it easy to design an enclosure that fits well.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I make ambient electronic music, and I also run a record label and mail order company focused on the same types of sounds.

Also I make paintings, photographs and digital art, sometimes for CD cover designs for my own label, sometimes for others, and sometimes just for fun.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Your job description just brought back those memories Splinemodel

I never new that Kim Kap Sol actually actually means something in Korean. You have educated me Splinemodel