TS: Tiger for sure in early April

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Oh sweet! My school doesn't have a computer store on campus... Is there any way the student one can be ordered from apple.com or anything?

ya but you might not be able to get it for $50. purdue has some special deal with apple to get it that cheap.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Yeah, you're probably looking at $69. That is what they charge for Panther. You never know though, for they might raise the student price on Tiger. We know the retail price for Tiger, but not the educational price yet.

You know what I was thinking today? We're 1 month from running Tiger on our computers! Are you ready? I am!
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Everything, besides the bugs of the developer-builds of Tiger, hint at a relase in April, be it mid or end of April:

1. The books for Tiger are being readied for an April-release.

2. The Pro-apps of Apple need the new technologies of Tiger.

3. Tiger has to be made ready before WindowsXP64, in order to brag with having the first 64-bit mainstream-operating-system.

4. Imac-G5-revb is overdue and it's better if it goes with a new OS, though that isn't a must.

5. It's better for Apple to release Tiger way before WWDC in order to have developers familiar with it and in order to have a number of adoption-rate ready to convince the developers to accelerate their use of Tiger's features for their apps, etc...

The one counter-argument is that the developer-builds seem to be buggy and unstable as of three weeks ago, but a 10.4.1 could always address the few bugs not being catched between three weeks ago and April.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

If I have it correctly, the developer builds are not necessarily the same as Apple internal builds are they ?

Given the recent lawsuits it isn't unreasonable to believe that the seeded builds of Tiger are several months behind its real status in Apple.

The developer's previews aren't really for seeing the status of Tiger; they're to give developers a rough draft to work with and to just prepare them for the upcoming release.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    8A414 is released now.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

While I think the April release date is a bit far fetched, the NAB rationale makes perfect sense. I'm sure there's a suite of new Pro Video tools coming out and I'm sure they require QT 7. However, that doesn't make them require Tiger.

We've heard reports of QT 7 for Panther. Also, private frameworks could be released in advance just for using the Pro Apps on Panther. Sure, its a lot of work to do this rather than just get Tiger out the door, but forcing these two pieces to be released together is a mistake. What if Tiger was delayed 3 months... you think Steve would hold back the Pro Apps for that long?

I'd love it if Tiger has released soon, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Oh, and I'm definitely looking forward to the "is it the GM build or not" debate, including the obligatory references to "debug code".

I think the new Pro Apps ARE going to require Tiger not for Quicktime 7 but for Core Image. I heard they have transferred some of the filter functionality over to Core Image so you can do things like Real Time HD Colour Correction and so on.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    I meant Core Video Dazabrit... you smart ass
  • Reply 28 of 33
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I think the new Pro Apps ARE going to require Tiger not for Quicktime 7 but for Core Image. I heard they have transferred some of the filter functionality over to Core Image so you can do things like Real Time HD Colour Correction and so on.

I agree with you that Core Video (though Core Image is really a part of Core Video/Image rather than a separate thing) will be what FCP, Motion, etc. will rely on for real time effects, Im not so sure that Apple will require that you have Tiger to use the apps, just that you wont get real time effects if you dont have Tiger.

I could be wrong, but this seems to follow what Apple has done in the past...
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I doubt they would force a "double" upgrade on Professionals. Having to upgrade your Apps at the same time as your OS would be too much for a lot of pros.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I doubt they would force a "double" upgrade on Professionals. Having to upgrade your Apps at the same time as your OS would be too much for a lot of pros.

i'd actually say quite the opposite. pros would (or at least should) never update their video editing/compositing/etc.. products mid-project. same with an OS update. really i'd say it's best for pros to update both at once, rather than update one and then the other.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    the video pro apps will require both core image/video and qt 7, so basycally tiger