G5 iMac Finally Quiet!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm now onto my 3rd mid-plane and I'm happy to report that finally the machine makes an acceptable level of noise.

I had the first changed after just a week because of the noisy fan but it didn't improve matters at all, since the problem seemed quite widespread and a bit random I decided to put up with it for a while and try later in the warranty period, hoping the problem had been solved by then.

My hand was forced early when the graphics started playing up, the screen would freeze and go 'fuzzy' sometimes windows and icons would leave trails when they were moved etc.

So Apple sent a new midplane (after almost 6 hours of combined calls to support) and I'm pleased to say that not only has it solved the graphics problems but the noise has been cut by 80%.

I'm sitting here typing and the cpu is running at 93% (safari, smileys..) and the noise level is about the same as 5-10% was before.

If you have a noisy machine it might be worth another go at solving it now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Interested to here that Jake. I also have a noisy iMac.

Anyone else with any success stories?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

Interested to here that Jake. I also have a noisy iMac.

Anyone else with any success stories?

A half success story. Apple recognized the fan noise problem after they sent me a new power supply which didn't solve it. So, according to the Level 2 techie that I spoke to it is an officially recognized problem, and after a little persausion they agreed to send me a new one!

In fact, they first offered to let me exchange it for any Apple computer provided it was the same value. I went with a new iMac. Since it was a custom configuration they reckoned 2-3 weeks build time! I'm now hoping that I might even get one of the rumoured upgraded ones on the first of April (though that's pushing it). Overall though excellent service from Apple.

For anyone else who has suspects they have a noisy iMac G5 there are two distinct issues (and mine has both!). One is a noisy CPU fan which also whines at a very annoying pitch. The second is that one of the fans gradually increases it's RPM's untill it's really noisy, even when there is little or virtually no work being done. The only way I've find to silence it is to restart. When you do that it goes quiet again (apart from the CPU fan whine) so it can't be a heat issue.

Oh yap.. a question for those who know the iMac technically better than me (virtually everyone). Apple talks about 'a trio of fans' cooling the iMac. I can see the three on the Logic board but on of the technicians insisted there is another fan in the power supply. Is this true? I couldn't see one in the replacement PS. Any thoughts.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    My iMac isn't what I would consider "noisy" but how would I know if it has the issue?

I mean- I can hear the fans come on (sometimes like full blast) when I'm gaming or compressing some video, but it's just a steady hmmmmmm most of the time- not totally silent, but good enough- although it would be nice to have it a little more quiet...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    If you had the whiny fan you'd be pretty sure of it. I have it and it's extremely annoying from across the room, with a high pitch that is very inconsistent, coming on and off at random seemingly. I haven't contacted Apple about it yet. I already had to get one replacement iMac because of the vertical line problem on the display. The replacement was good so didn't want to put up with another 3 or 4 week wait for a new machine. I think the noise is annoying enough now that I will call Apple tech support and see if they will do anything.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    There is no fan inside the power supply. I've had mine open..
  • Reply 6 of 6
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

The second is that one of the fans gradually increases it's RPM's untill it's really noisy, even when there is little or virtually no work being done. The only way I've find to silence it is to restart.

Yep! That's my noise. I have never tried the restart thing. Your right the noise does subside, however if My iMac was pretty warm anyway it only takes 10 minutes or so, to get back up to full whine!

Proxy, before your new system arrives....... does your screen feel hot/warm when you can hear the full noise?

Also let us know if the new system is better.

I think/feel that my situation has deteriorated over the last six months. I put up with it, but it is getting really annoying now.