Cinema Display Price Cuts...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone heard about apple cutting the price on their cinema displays?



i am 95% sure that they are doing it on their 30inch one but i am not sure about anything else.



sorry if this is old news but i know i heard it somewhere...
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 39
    oh btw i heard that it is dropping the price by 500 on the 30.



    i heard this from the manager at CompUSA about a month ago and it just popped into my mind. he seemed pretty confident and i am guessing he probably knows when they are getting them in stock since he knew the exact date(cant remember exactly) and he wants one to go with his Dual G5 PowerMac.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    They need to watch out for DELL



    DELL 24" Cinema wide display $1,199.00 (same res as Apple

    Apple 23" $1,799.00



    $1,199.00 vs. $1,799.00 = DELL $600 less



    DELL 20.1" Cinema Wide $561.75 (same res as Apple)

    Apple 20" $999.00



    $561.75 vs. $999.00



    I can almost get 2 for the price of one from DELL on these.



    For the price of one Apple 23" I can get a DELL 20", and a DELL 24"



    DELL displays
  • Reply 3 of 39
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker



    DELL 24" Cinema wide display $1,199.00 (same res as Apple

    Apple 23" $1,799.00

    ...

    DELL 20.1" Cinema Wide $561.75 (same res as Apple)

    Apple 20" $999.00

    ...

    I can almost get 2 for the price of one from DELL on these.



    For the price of one Apple 23" I can get a DELL 20", and a DELL 24"




  • Reply 4 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB





    NO doubt.. It looks like DELL is actually targeting Apple.





    I don't think Apple can afford to match DELL's prices on these new displays.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SteveGTA

    oh btw i heard that it is dropping the price by 500 on the 30.



    i heard this from the manager at CompUSA about a month ago and it just popped into my mind. he seemed pretty confident and i am guessing he probably knows when they are getting them in stock since he knew the exact date(cant remember exactly) and he wants one to go with his Dual G5 PowerMac.




    I'll take a 30" at $2500 thank you.



    By the way the Dell 24" can be had for under $900 according to the thread at http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=246641
  • Reply 6 of 39
    They DO need to watch out for Dell, but you have to realize that Dell is currently beating the pants off of everyone in the LCD monitor price war. Apple isn't trying to be the cheapest, like Dell is. If they were they would have used plastic to encase their monitors(like dell does). I do agree that apple should be aiming for $750 20", $1400-1500 23", and $2400 30".
  • Reply 7 of 39
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Maybe you guys could help me with something. I ordered a 20 inch Cinema display from Amazon a couple weeks ago, and the box arrived beat-up, with even some dirt inside. However, the display works fine. Amazon even gave me $100 off the $930 I paid, so I got it for $830. They said I can return it for refund, if I decide I no longer want it within the 30 days, since it arrived so beat-up.



    However, some of these Dell deals are remarkable. Plus, the 20 Dell has the s-video & VGA inputs too, so I could connect a TV receiver and my Dell notebook with VGA out all at the same time, instead of only my Powerbook like I can with my Apple display. However, I love the look of the Apple display.



    What should I do? People seem really passionate about those Dell displays. However, is the legend that Apple makes sure quality parts go into the display, whereas Dell may actually use panels and such that Apple would reject?



    What should I do? I would save maybe $200, plus have the additional inputs, if I went with the Dell. If I keep my Apple display, I will have a display 100x more attractive. I should also point out that my Powerbook is low inside my desk, so you can't really see its beauty, so by having the Cinema display I can have something that really stands out on my desk, so you know I'm an Apple nut immediately. Ok, maybe I'm trying too hard to justify the Apple?



    I also worry about Apple cutting the prices more, or coming out with a display that has more features at WWDC.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    I don't think Apple can afford to match DELL's prices on these new displays.



    Depends on what you need in a display. Can Dell afford to match Apple's quality? Apple LCDs are good enough for color-accurate work. I wonder how the Dell stacks up in this regard.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ibook911

    What should I do? People seem really passionate about those Dell displays. However, is the legend that Apple makes sure quality parts go into the display, whereas Dell may actually use panels and such that Apple would reject?



    I don't know if people are passionate about the displays, so much as they are attracted by the price. Certainly, if color accuracy and such isn't critical, and you don't care if the display is homely black plastic, why not get the Dell? The Dell 17" flat panel I use at work is perfectly clear and sharp for what I need it to do (display text, for the most part).



    But if you already have the 20" Apple display, and if there's nothing wrong with it, I don't know if it's worth sending it off. That's one sweet monitor, and you've already paid for it. If I were you I'd just enjoy the one you've got. Since I'm me, I will instead look at the 15" Studio Display that cost me $999 and turn bright green with envy.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Apple not long ago had displays price cuts. I am a little surprise to see that happening so soon again. This probably indicates that we might have upgrades happening at WWDC and Apple is trying to get rid of their current line up as fast as they can.

    I don't think Dell is the reason for the price cut, if happens. Apple displays seems to be a much better product IMHO so Dell is not a serious competition.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ibook911

    Maybe you guys could help me with something. I ordered a 20 inch Cinema display from Amazon a couple weeks ago, and the box arrived beat-up, with even some dirt inside. However, the display works fine. Amazon even gave me $100 off the $930 I paid, so I got it for $830. They said I can return it for refund, if I decide I no longer want it within the 30 days, since it arrived so beat-up.



    However, some of these Dell deals are remarkable. Plus, the 20 Dell has the s-video & VGA inputs too, so I could connect a TV receiver and my Dell notebook with VGA out all at the same time, instead of only my Powerbook like I can with my Apple display. However, I love the look of the Apple display.



    What should I do? People seem really passionate about those Dell displays. However, is the legend that Apple makes sure quality parts go into the display, whereas Dell may actually use panels and such that Apple would reject?



    What should I do? I would save maybe $200, plus have the additional inputs, if I went with the Dell. If I keep my Apple display, I will have a display 100x more attractive. I should also point out that my Powerbook is low inside my desk, so you can't really see its beauty, so by having the Cinema display I can have something that really stands out on my desk, so you know I'm an Apple nut immediately. Ok, maybe I'm trying too hard to justify the Apple?



    I also worry about Apple cutting the prices more, or coming out with a display that has more features at WWDC.




    I don't even know if these (24") displays will work with a Mac. I would find that out first. But I did hear (read) a few friends talking about their 2x 20.1 inch DELL's they got, (they use Mac's) and that is what prompted the post. I would get some definite answers first. Obviously DELL will tell you they wont support the Mac OS (with drivers) if you chose to get one, but I'd still get some specifics.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    I don't even know if these (24") displays will work with a Mac. I would find that out first. But I did hear (read) a few friends talking about their 2x 20.1 inch DELL's they got, (they use Mac's) and that is what prompted the post. I would get some definite answers first. Obviously DELL will tell you they wont support the Mac OS (with drivers) if you chose to get one, but I'd still get some specifics.



    If you read a few of the posts here:

    http://www.macintouch.com/cinemadisplays06.html#mar11

    You will see it is supported. A few users have had issues with brightness but that is about it...
  • Reply 13 of 39
    <<I don't even know if these (24") displays will work with a Mac. I would find that out first.>>



    You also might want to check the MacNN Peripheral forum, as there are two active threads about the Dell FPDs, including the 24". As to the brightness issue with the Dell 2005FW and the 24" FPD, its that some people think it's too bright.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    I just got a dell 24", and it definitely is brighter than the Apple 23" (the contrast ratio of 1000:1 is MUCH higher than Apple's 400:1).



    Couple that with the ability to do a vertical pivot, a usb hub AND 7-in-1 media card reader, and a pretty slick (heavy and stable) base (not to mention DVI, VGA, HDTV Component and SVideo in and the fact that they include ALL the cables for free) and you have a very very killer unit.



    All for $940 with free shipping.



    When it comes to the display market, Dell is the one to beat now.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by The Former Lurker

    I just got a dell 24", and it definitely is brighter than the Apple 23" (the contrast ratio of 1000:1 is MUCH higher than Apple's 400:1).



    Couple that with the ability to do a vertical pivot, a usb hub AND 7-in-1 media card reader, and a pretty slick (heavy and stable) base (not to mention DVI, VGA, HDTV Component and SVideo in and the fact that they include ALL the cables for free) and you have a very very killer unit.



    All for $940 with free shipping.



    When it comes to the display market, Dell is the one to beat now.




    Is that hooked up to a DELL? or any PC for that matter?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I also got my Dell 2405fpw about a week ago for about $1000. It's great and has better color reproduction than a 23" Cinema displays I've seen. I agree, it's also much brighter than Apple's Cinema Display. According to the specs, it also has a lower pixel response (12 ms).



    It's standard VGA or DVI and so works fine with any Macs with those ports.



    FYI, the Dell 2405fpw is hardly a Dell other than the name on it. The panel is made by Samsung and the casing by BenQ.



    Black casings for displays are preferable for professions since they reduce reflection/scattering. If you've a visited professional studio, you'd know that by noticing that all the graphics artists are wearing black.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    Is that hooked up to a DELL? or any PC for that matter?



    Hooked up to my G5 (ATI Radeon). Works great.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BJNY

    [B]I'll take a 30" at $2500 thank you.



    [B]



    Me Too!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Me three



    Great display, bright as the sun. Oh yeah, a thin line of black gaffer tape over the small logo -- it was a bit glaring...
  • Reply 20 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I just can't afford the 30" plus a new computer. But I could afford 2x 20, or 24" Dell's at that price.
Sign In or Register to comment.