Rip audio form DVD Movie

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there,

I have a training vid on DVD and I am curious if anyone knows a way to rip the audio off so that I can burn it to a CD for listening to in the car and such.

Zenatek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    You can use wire tap to record the audio to aiff. At least that's what I do.

Wiretap
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mr_emr_e Posts: 40member
    Use OSEx (find it on MacUpdate).

Not the friendliest app out there, but it will allow you to rip the elemental streams.

I set it to create a new file at chapter breaks, which did an excellent job of breaking up the tracks (vice one long file).

You can then convert the audio to whatever format you wish.

For an audio CD, just convert to wav and send them to Toast.

- I used it to rip a concert DVD to a series of AAC files, turned out great.

-KWE
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr_E

Use OSEx (find it on MacUpdate).

Not the friendliest app out there, but it will allow you to rip the elemental streams.

I set it to create a new file at chapter breaks, which did an excellent job of breaking up the tracks (vice one long file).

You can then convert the audio to whatever format you wish.

For an audio CD, just convert to wav and send them to Toast.

- I used it to rip a concert DVD to a series of AAC files, turned out great.

-KWE

i guess most of audio elements rip off from commercial dvd are ac3 format then you need a little software to convert to aiff. so itunes can play it and convert another coding.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Hi there,

I have a training vid on DVD and I am curious if anyone knows a way to rip the audio off so that I can burn it to a CD for listening to in the car and such.

Zenatek

Hmmm ... yeah, I definitely recommend Wiretap. It's a freeware service, and very easy to use. It'll record things in AIFF, which takes up a lot of space, but if you wanna burn it to audio CD, just drag it into iTunes, convert it to an mp3 with a high bit rate and there you go! Very simple ... good luck with it!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

I definitely recommend Wiretap. It's a freeware service, and very easy to use.

You say its freeware but I can only find a pro version that costs money. Is there something I am missing?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

You say its freeware but I can only find a pro version that costs money. Is there something I am missing?

I do apologize, it seems that Ambrosia has started requiring a fee to use WireTap. I downloaded it while they were still offering it as freeware. \ Sorry for the bad info ... if Sound Studio came bundled with your Mac, you might be able to use that. My Mac's in for repair right now, so I couldn't give you a procedure. Let me know if you'd like one and I'll reply later this week when I get my iMac back!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I dont have anything called Sound studio. But the free version of the program must be out there somewhere right?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dontconfuse

i guess most of audio elements rip off from commercial dvd are ac3 format then you need a little software to convert to aiff. so itunes can play it and convert another coding.

So does anyone know which software can convert from .PCM or .AC3 to AIF? I've tried using OSEX to rip these audio files from a DVD but iTunes doesn't recognise them.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

So does anyone know which software can convert from .PCM or .AC3 to AIF? I've tried using OSEX to rip these audio files from a DVD but iTunes doesn't recognise them.

versiontracker is your friend:

see?

PS: why are there two freakin threads about the same thing?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Thanks for that, and I don't know. I was contributing to one thread and then the other appeared!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

I dont have anything called Sound studio. But the free version of the program must be out there somewhere right?

Yeah, you still might be able to find the free version through some old sites out there. You might wanna try this link from VersionTracker:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20167

I'm on a PC till Tuesday - Wednesday, so I can't check the link. If that one doesn't nwork, I'd Google for "wireTap" "Freeware" to see if you can find any lingering freeware copies out there.

Let me know if you have any luck!