Some of my Hard drive disappeared!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a dual 450 G4 running Panther. Recently I was trying to burn a cd in Toast as a mac volume (Toast 5.2.3). I started by creating a Mountable partition in toast (650MB) and copied all my files to it. when I hit burn Toast came up with an error message saying that the partition could not be found and promptly quit!

I tried this 4 times all with the same result. I then noticed in the finder that not only were the partitions not visible but that 2.5 gigs (approx) of my hard drive had disappeared! So it seems like the partitions are still there but cannot be seen. I ran Tinkertool but it cannot see anything 650MB in size or with the correct name.

does anyone know how I can find and delete these partition files to reclaim my space?

For that matter, does nyone know why the Toast problem occurs in the first place?

Thanx in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I think when burning a CD is makes a hidden copy on your HD that is transferred across (very laymans term/understanding).

Download OmniDiskSweeper (its free - sort of) and it will allow you to see where these files are. If you purchase it, it also allows you to delete them as well.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi,

thanx for your reply Omega.

I've just tried Omni and it finds all kinds of files but nothing remotely in the 650mb range or with the name MacCD. There are lots of hidden files shown but most of them are just a few K in size.

I'm really puzzled as to where my 2.5 gig has gone!