G4 question?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
if i were to get a G4 powerbook how long would i be able to run the newest OS?

basically, when is apple expecting to do a complete conversion to a 64-bit operating system?

if they did i doubt u would be able to use a G4 on it... right?

wouldnt this justify the wait for getting a G5 PowerBook over getting a G4 iBook for 300 less, for a user like me that doesnt plan to get a new notebook for 3-4 years? (prob shorter if i can justify it )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I'm sure you'll be able to run the newest operating system on the current Powerbooks in three years. After all, Apple will still be selling G4s, for quite some time to come.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SteveGTA

if i were to get a G4 powerbook how long would i be able to run the newest OS?

basically, when is apple expecting to do a complete conversion to a 64-bit operating system?

if they did i doubt u would be able to use a G4 on it... right?

wouldnt this justify the wait for getting a G5 PowerBook over getting a G4 iBook for 300 less, for a user like me that doesnt plan to get a new notebook for 3-4 years? (prob shorter if i can justify it )

The G4 is 64-bit compatible.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I can still run the current version of OS X on my Sawtooth Powermac, a 400 MHz G4 system with 576 MB RAM, two 7200 RPM HDs, and a 32 MB Radeon for Quartz Extreme. It's starting to feel a bit slow, but it is still usable. I plan to slip in a 1.5 GHz G4 CPU upgrade when I have the dough and keep using it for another couple years. I expect the applications to outgrow the CPU before OS X does.

Since the Mini is G4 Powered, I think it's safe to say that Apple will support G4 Macs with shitty GPUs for many years to come. As long as you aren't doing HD video editing on your powerbook, it should last for many years (3-5).