Can scanner serve as copier?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In the process of shopping researching a new printer, I noticed the proliferation of mulitipurpse machines. I got to thinking that a copier would be convenient for making copies of the occasional receipt, recipe, instruction page, etc. But now I?m concerned about some of the compromises involved in a multi-purpose printer and may get a dedicated photo printer instead. My question: Could a scanner substitute for a copier? I know its a stretch but hear me out. I would only use it once in a while. The time involved in scanning and then printing it out is not really an issue. What is an issue is the quality of the copy. For example, would the quality of a scanned and printed cash register receipt be similar to a photo-copied one? I realize that scanners are for copying graphics, not text. But if the text is legible for the occasional such use I?d probably just get separate stand-alone printer and a cheap scanner. Finally, I would use the scanner for its real purpose but don?t need high quality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Eh, it should be fine. I've used my scanner with my PC to make copies of receipts for rebates and such (i'm assuming that's why you made that particular example), and it's perfectly legible/usable.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Hello? McFly?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Thank you MCQ. And, yes, your assumption was correct.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Making copies off a scanner is painfully slow. However, if you scan into Photoshop and convert to bitmap there you can blow away the most expensive copiers with even a really cheap scanner and a really cheap printer.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Scanning and printing works great with a few exceptions. If you simply need a copy of information that is no problem. Scanners and inkjets reproduce things better than most copiers can. However, if you need to maintain the exact size and centering of an item or if your original consists of egde to edge information that may be a problem. Most older printers don't allow full bleed printing. In order to fit the scan to the allowed printable area the image may be reduced slightly in size. Alternatively, if you don't select a scan region which is centered then the result will not look exactly as the original. This is almost never a problem in real life.

In the last four years I had one problem where I scanned a form, filled it out on my computer in GraphicConverter then printed it. The government agent who reviewed the document complained about it but he accepted it anyway (not in the US).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Scanner can serve as a copier, but you will get bored quickly if you use it on a regular basis.

The problem is that it's a painfull process, that will ask time, even if the result may be incredibily good.

In my office i started to use the scanner for copying, the result was good with my powerlook 3 and my HP 4000, but the waste of time terrible. So i bought a fax copyer from Ricoh, and it's far much better : just have to press on a button ...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Thank you all. I know now that a scanner will do the very limited document copying I would use it for. Question for JBL if you check back here, do you know if Photoshop Elements (aka Photoshop Jr.) could convert files to bitmap? I don't own Photoshop but plan on buying Elements soon.

By the way, I see on the Costco website that the Lexmark Printrio is on sale for $59. I know its an entry level machine but it does include flatbed scanner. Normal price is $89 with $30 rebate till Sunday. I'm almost disappointed that it's an instant rebate, I wouldn't need to copy the receipt!

But it seems that mail-in rebates are proliferating so it would come in handy soon enough.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    If you are thinking of converting scanned images to bit maps they are already bit maps. Most scanners put out images in tiff and PICT formats and probably some others.

I'd suggest you look at Graphic Converter for changing image formats. It is shareware, cheaper than PS elements and very highly regarded. Just go to Version Tracker and read the extensive comments.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    I had a lexmark all in one I forget the model # but it was about $150. Its scanning interface was really crappy, I couldn't scan directly into photoshop I had to scan to a file then open it and it kept printing black and white documents with color even when I set it to just black. There would be a fuzzy green shdow on black text that looked awfull. Needless to say I returned it. I am now looking at the Epson CX5200.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I have Photoshop Elements .... it DOES do Bitmap (.bmp)

PSE has been a very nice program for me so far, no crashes, even runs adequately on a 466 G3 iBook.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>Scanners and inkjets reproduce things better than most copiers can.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eh? Okay, maybe a crappy old analogue copier you can pick up for a few hundred bucks, but a decent digital device (and a digital copier is basically a laser printer with a scanner attached) will piss all over an inkjet from 50 yards away without breaking a sweat. Toner is a much more controllable substance than ink, so the reproduction is always going to be more accurate, even before you take into account such unpleasant variables as moisture content, ink bleed, substrate texture and composition...

Anyway, to answer reynard's original question, for the kind of purposes you're looking at, a scanner/printer combination is going to serve you just fine. As neutrino23 says, scanners tend to dump out TIFF files (unless they're fancy ones that do PDF or JPEG), so you just open it in something as basic as Preview and print away.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Well, with a $99 Canon LiDE 30 scanner, you get this little "Copy" button on the scanner, that scans and then prints your scan. It generally works well.

The real problem is the limitation of the printers. Most lasers don't go edge-to-edge, so if you copy an 8.5x11 piece of paper and then print it, you're croping at the edges. For small things, that's not an issue.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mwmw Posts: 31member
    If you simply need to make "copies" of the occasional receipt, recipe, instruction page, etc., why are you even worried about a printer?

Simply scan into, e.g., Adobe Acrobat and save it as pdf. There you have your digital "copy". Should you ever need a copy of your receipt on paper (most of the time you don't), *then* you print it out...

(pdf "print quality" is fine, make sure you back up your hard drive)

martin
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by mw:

<strong>If you simply need to make "copies" of the occasional receipt, recipe, instruction page, etc., why are you even worried about a printer?

Simply scan into, e.g., Adobe Acrobat and save it as pdf. There you have your digital "copy". Should you ever need a copy of your receipt on paper (most of the time you don't), *then* you print it out...

(pdf "print quality" is fine, make sure you back up your hard drive)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is true. If copies aren't a big deal, then you can just save them on disk. Of course, if they're not important, why are you making copies? And of course, hopefully you have a backup policy. (Everyone has a backup policy, right?)

If you talk about the function of using a scanner/printer like a copy machine, then the limitations I mention apply.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mwmw Posts: 31member
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>

This is true. If copies aren't a big deal, then you can just save them on disk. Of course, if they're not important, why are you making copies? And of course, hopefully you have a backup policy. (Everyone has a backup policy, right?)

If you talk about the function of using a scanner/printer like a copy machine, then the limitations I mention apply.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Those "occasional copies of receipts" (e.g., original sent in for mail-in-rebate) aren't important if everything goes smoothly, you only need them if the company handling the rebate screws it up...

(I guess in Germany/Austria/Switzerland you will always have the original receipt, since mail-in-rebate doesn't exist there... (die gruene Hoelle" ;-) )

I agree, cropping on the edges when "copying" can be a problem if the printer can't print full-bleed. On most multifunction machines mentioned in the post that started this thread you can enlarge/reduce, so you just print at, say, 90% and get it all.

I recently tested the copying feature on some of the multifunction machines at a local Office Depot: HP 6100 and d-series (d135, d145) both copied fine, text on copies was crisp, d-series hit the grayscales better and output looked "smoother" when copying color original to b/w copy. Also, d-135 ($399) copied much, much faster than 6100 ($299). Another cheap ink-jet multifunction, the Brother MFC-5200c ($349), had fuzzy text and is not recommended.

I think I might get the d-135, I like the shhet feeder for the scanner (--&gt;paperless office) and the way it holds up (I'm at the Office Depot every other week, and have gotten sample printout/copies from the same machine over a period of 2 1/2 months with no perceptible decrease in print quality.)

It may seem expensive to buy a multifunction machine for your home ($400 + ink refills) vs. paying 8cents per copy at Kinkos, but think about the time you save (and keeping your brain clear for other things... when you think "copy", you immediately have one...)

martin

P.S.: I still have a SCSI scanner and an old Apple StyleWriter, but THAT is definitely too slow...