Will Tiger support Classic?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I noticed shots of the new System Prefrences do not include a preference button for Classic.



Are they eliminating support for classic?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    One can only dream.



    My guess, however, is that the developer builds simply didn't include the Classic environment to save space as nobody develops for Classic anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by zenatek

    I noticed shots of the new System Prefrences do not include a preference button for Classic.



    Are they eliminating support for classic?




    No, the Classic pane is only there if you have a Mac OS 9 System Folder on the drive.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Squozen

    ... as nobody develops for Classic anymore.



    Not true.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Yes I have panther installed but do not have an OS 9 system folder and I still have that classic Icon.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Perhaps that's something new in Tiger that isn't there in Panther
  • Reply 6 of 17
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    Not true.



    That link comes up blank for me in Firefox, so I must assume I was correct and nobody is developing exclusively for Classic/OS9 anymore. :P
  • Reply 7 of 17
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Yes I get the same thing... maybe he was being sarcastic and felt like sending us to a blank page...lol (Please do not actually think I am serious.)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,501member
    Gawd I hope not. They've only had 7 years to Carbonize their apps.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Squozen

    That link comes up blank for me in Firefox, so I must assume I was correct and nobody is developing exclusively for Classic/OS9 anymore. :P



    The link has been corrected.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. Me

    The link has been corrected.



    Someone will develope for it if some people still use it, there are still people training to program cobal. why? because people will pay big money for "legacy support" as it is oft cheaper than a full overhaul+upgrade.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Squozen

    One can only dream.



    Why?! I don't understand why some people want Apple to remove Classic so much.



    I like Classic. I can use it to play old games. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it. What's the deal?!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I have never used classic so I wouldnt know. But in my opinion to expect apple to continue to keep support for an old outdated OS is rediculous. I mean how many years has it been since OS X first came out?



    Its time to move on and I hope there doing that with Tiger.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by zenatek

    I have never used classic so I wouldnt know. But in my opinion to expect apple to continue to keep support for an old outdated OS is rediculous. I mean how many years has it been since OS X first came out?



    Its time to move on and I hope there doing that with Tiger.




    At this point, it is there but getting rid of it would be more work than just not touching it at all, and by NOT spending time getting rid of it, Apple can keep a few customers happy at the same time, the rest of the users never notice classic.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    classic lets me run framemaker so it stays. do you hear me apple, it stays...



  • Reply 15 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,115member
    Classic is here to stay.



    I know LOTS of people who either are blissfully happy in Classic or do NOT want to go to OSX.



    We are power users, we want to use the latest and greatest. But people in my family for example just want to check their mail, write some documents, be able to open attachments, browse the web... and Classic usually does this fine for them.



    I've given up trying to convince them to move to OSX... they just dont want to learn something new!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ZO

    Classic is here to stay.



    I know LOTS of people who either are blissfully happy in Classic or do NOT want to go to OSX.



    We are power users, we want to use the latest and greatest. But people in my family for example just want to check their mail, write some documents, be able to open attachments, browse the web... and Classic usually does this fine for them.



    I've given up trying to convince them to move to OSX... they just dont want to learn something new!




    You seem to be confusing Classic with MacOS 9. Although Classic is MacOS 9 running on top of MacOS X, there is no need to start-up Classic to check email, surf the web, or write simple documents. Safari is a better browser than any MacOS 9 browser. Mail is a better email client. TextEdit is all you need for simple documents. It would be silly to perform these tasks in the Classic environment. On the other hand, if your family is comfortable using MacOS 9, then they are better served booting directly into MacOS 9. This, however, has nothing to do with Apple's continued support of Classic on MacOS X. If your family's computer boots MacOS 9, it will continue to do so until it collapses into a heaping pile irrespective of what Apple does with MacOS X.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Some fear change. I don't blame them! I mean, look how unstable OS X is!!!!!! And then at the keynote Stevie said they've been secretly working OS X to work on Intel. Some like their corn from the neighbor's crop. Maybe they are fearful of Intel, and the only way that they can be true and honest to theirselves is to have a computer that was built for PowerPC. "PowerPC FORVER!" They scream... I can hear them in my little head.
Sign In or Register to comment.