PB resell value

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will be in the market for a new PowerBook next spring/summer, and I have a few questions about reselling my current PB.

1. Would it be worth the hike in resell value to purchase iLife '05 now and Tiger when it comes out?

2. Are there any personal data / HDD issues I should deal with before selling my PB? (Obviously I'd do a clean sweep of the system, but those pesky magnetic charges could jeopardize my privacy?)

3. What could I expect to rake in this time next year for a good-condition 15" 1.5GHz PB with 512MB RAM? What's the best way to sell it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staudte

I will be in the market for a new PowerBook next spring/summer, and I have a few questions about reselling my current PB.

1. Would it be worth the hike in resell value to purchase iLife '05 now and Tiger when it comes out?

2. Are there any personal data / HDD issues I should deal with before selling my PB? (Obviously I'd do a clean sweep of the system, but those pesky magnetic charges could jeopardize my privacy?)

3. What could I expect to rake in this time next year for a good-condition 15" 1.5GHz PB with 512MB RAM? What's the best way to sell it?

Thanks!

0. what are the specs of your current powerbook? any trackpad, whitespots on screen, or 'paint peeling' issues? how long have you had it?

1. not much, i think

2. there's some random 4-way write of 1s and 0s or some CIA-like technique to prevent people recovering data from a wiped hard disk. there might be some mac os x software to do it i think, maybe even diskUtility in os X

3. are you talking about your current PB (see point 0) or a new PB you are thinking of buying soon and selling in a year?

3.1 eBay is normally quite good because the bidding frenzy part normally pushes up your final selling price to a decent level

theres a point to my asking, you'll see
  • Reply 2 of 5
    staudtestaudte Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

0. what are the specs of your current powerbook? any trackpad, whitespots on screen, or 'paint peeling' issues? how long have you had it?

3. are you talking about your current PB (see point 0) or a new PB you are thinking of buying soon and selling in a year?

No issues with my PB so far. I've had my current PB about a year, and I plan to sell it about a year from now (I'm not purchasing a new one now). It'll still have a years' worth of applecare on it; I hope to get a few more bucks for that "feature," as opposed to selling it 2 years from now when applecare runs out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by staudte

No issues with my PB so far. I've had my current PB about a year, and I plan to sell it about a year from now (I'm not purchasing a new one now). It'll still have a years' worth of applecare on it; I hope to get a few more bucks for that "feature," as opposed to selling it 2 years from now when applecare runs out.

okay sweet. here's my smart-bastard-capitalist opinion, possibly others will chime in with their individual opinions

you say you've got a 15" 1.5ghz 512mb RAM powerbook with 2 years worth of AppleCare...

sweet

if you sell your PowerBook within the next few months, i think your machine has high resale value because it is proven to not have the issues which have plagued the most recent edition of powerbooks... plus it has applecare... make sure you point this all out in your eBay description

if you wait 1 year, by then your resale value will be quite diminished because

1. g5 powerbook might be out

2. latest g4 powerbooks will have problems sorted out

3. 1 year left on applecare, people won't appreciate it as much because 1 year left = 1 year of warranty on a new powerbook they would buy

4. a lot can change in 1 year

5. like i said above, i think your powerbook is more valuable NOW than USUAL because (a)affordable g5 powerbook is quite far away and (b)the latest powerbooks have some negative publicity with trackpad, paint peeling issues... the fact that yours have none of this issues after 1 year indicates unlikely that these manufacturing 'defects' are present (c) 2 years applecare is the icing on the cake to encourage eBay bidding

the only thing is, if you sell your powerbook now, what are you going to get? \

overall though, i would suggest better now than in 1 years time
  • Reply 4 of 5
    something i learnt from experience is that i know you have the potential buyer at heart, that's why you want to present them with the best possible package, such as applecare, a well-taken-care of powerbook, and stuff like iLife and Tiger... but if you look at my suggestion above that is more of a market-focused approach, which IMHO indicates now rather than a year later, and don't worry about iLife 05 and Tiger, would be a better strategy overall..

jeez i should do an MBA or somethin huh? so much wasted brainpower on all this geek stuff it will pay off one day, like the dot-com boom... it'll come back some day peoples \
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

something i learnt from experience is that i know you have the potential buyer at heart, that's why you want to present them with the best possible package, such as applecare, a well-taken-care of powerbook, and stuff like iLife and Tiger... but if you look at my suggestion above that is more of a market-focused approach, which IMHO indicates now rather than a year later, and don't worry about iLife 05 and Tiger, would be a better strategy overall..

jeez i should do an MBA or somethin huh? so much wasted brainpower on all this geek stuff it will pay off one day, like the dot-com boom... it'll come back some day peoples \

Nah. You wouldn't learn anything from B-school; you know more than them anyway.