6 GB iPod mini or 20 GB iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now that I have my Powerbook, I need an iPod to go along with it. I have put pretty much all my music into iTunes and it came out to 4GB worth of songs, or about 1000 songs. The only music I have left to put on it are 50-100 songs from a friend and then music I will be buying.

I am trying to decide between the 6GB mini and the 20GB iPod. I think I'm leaning towards the mini for several reasons: It's smaller, I like the casing better, and it comes with better battery life. The regular iPod does let me have room to grow, but it seems like most people upgrade iPod's every 2-3 years, so why not save some money now?

About the external HD issue, I think I will be buying a regular one.

What do you guys think? Is it better to have the extra room?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    when i got my 10GB ipod i only had about 250 songs and thought i could never use it all up. i'm at about 2800 songs now and cant sync up everything. your collection will grow faster than you think, but if you can do with *only* having 1500 songs at a time then you'll be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'd go with the mini myself.

I have a 15 Gb 3G iPod myself, and (presuming I'm employed) I may be in the market for a new one and my plan is to get a mini.

In my experience fiddling with them at the apple store, the minis make my regular iPod feel like big, heavy pile of doo doo!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    y'all probably heard me tout this a million times before

but if you're after sleekness and compactness, go the 6GB iPod Mini.

1. you got space for 'tunes and a few GBs of critical data

2. my iPod Mini Silver is very very scratch resistant. even the screen holds up well, it's coated real good... i ditched my crappy looking case after 1 or 2 months... seriously, don't bother getting a 'protective' mini case, save your cash for FireWire cable and/or other accessories

3. i think right now you mentioned you don't see much use of having 20GB or 40GB... obviously you haven't started ripping your *ahem* legally owned DVDs.. or stuff like that... umm my point is IMO when your GB hunger really kicks in, you'll be looking at 100GB and above external drives, or burning dual-layer/blu-ray DVDS
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Go for the iPod mini just because the new ones have wicked battery life.

Plus I've been in an accident* with one and it came out of it with a slight chip on the bottom.

*Involving me on my bike (bicycle mind you) going down a hill pretty fast but in control and then a dude in his car without signaling cuts in front of me to whip into a gas station. I being a lousy second or two behind him would have (maybe) been able to turn in with him and scrap the side of his car if he had signaled. Instead I went over his hood. No major injuries because I know how to fall but like a 100 bucks in repairs for my bike. My iPod in my jeans pocket was just fine. Not that this is typical usage, but it's nice to know that it survived a fairly serious beating.

I can't see the white plastic of a regular iPod surviving that.

My phone was fine too, but the RAZR from my experience is even more indestructible then the iPod mini.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Go for the iPod mini just because the new ones have wicked battery life.

Plus I've been in an accident* with one and it came out of it with a slight chip on the bottom.

*Involving me on my bike (bicycle mind you) going down a hill pretty fast but in control and then a dude in his car without signaling cuts in front of me to whip into a gas station. I being a lousy second or two behind him would have (maybe) been able to turn in with him and scrap the side of his car if he had signaled. Instead I went over his hood. No major injuries because I know how to fall but like a 100 bucks in repairs for my bike. My iPod in my jeans pocket was just fine. Not that this is typical usage, but it's nice to know that it survived a fairly serious beating.

I can't see the white plastic of a regular iPod surviving that.

My phone was fine too, but the RAZR from my experience is even more indestructible then the iPod mini.

dude, sorry to hear about your bike accident, that sucks.

but glad to know your iPod mini and RAZR made it out alright \

yeah i have held a RAZR v3 in my hands, it is a sturdy very sleek beast of a phone, i did suspect it would hold up to some punishment...