Anyone else seeing discounts on Powermacs and iBooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Dropped by the campus bookstore today, Macs are of course discounted to begin with (educational discounts), but I was suprised to see even bigger discounts than usual, specifically on iBooks and Powermacs.

Unfortunately I didn't write the exact dollar amounts down for all of the models (I can do so tomorrow if anyone cares), but here is one example:

12" iBook - normally goes for $1,199 CND, bookstore had a special on it for under $1000. 14" iBooks and the Powermac models also had sizable discounts on them. Note that these discounts were all for current models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Current Hardware... here we come.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

Current Hardware... here we come.

I'm sort of suprised that you would move this to current hardware, but perhaps I should have been more specific with my logic:

Unusual discounts on current hardware -> likely means Apple is clearing channel inventory -> likely means new iBook and Powermacs forthcoming.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Nah, you just forgot to title your thread appropriately.

Confirmed: New Powermacs and Powerbooks imminent.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    I stopped by my local campus Apple store and they had some crazy low deals going on, too. We're talkin an unopened 1.33ghz 15" powerbook for $1499, the 1.5 was going for I think $100 more. 12" ibooks were marked down to $799, and Powermacs were all lowered $100 or so. It's madness.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    CompUSA is offering a 10% discount on Macs if you get accepted for their credit card and use it to buy the Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    (nl)(nl) Posts: 5member
    This past weekend, the local AppleStore had iBook 12" for $699 and 14" for $799. These were clearly the older models.

I would have liked a 12", thinking that that would be a great size for ability to carry around, and it wouldn't be a primary machine for me, but they were all sold out already.

My wife snuck back and bought me a 14" - it's 1 Ghz, 256MB ram, 40GB HD, combo drive, ATI 9200/32MB, so again clearly the older model, but for $799 you cannot beat the price!

nl
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wow expensive...

Dell.com has their Inspiron 1200 laptops as low as $599..that's a 1.33Ghz Processor,256MB SoDIMM,64MB vid card,30GB UATA,24xCD-RW/DVD

I'm sure there's a workaround so you could install mac os x on a Dell laptop...the people you know that use PC laptops would give you a thumbs-up..until you showed them Panther!

*evil Microsoft type laughter*
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by (nl)

This past weekend, the local AppleStore had iBook 12" for $699 and 14" for $799. These were clearly the older models.

I would have liked a 12", thinking that that would be a great size for ability to carry around, and it wouldn't be a primary machine for me, but they were all sold out already.

My wife snuck back and bought me a 14" - it's 1 Ghz, 256MB ram, 40GB HD, combo drive, ATI 9200/32MB, so again clearly the older model, but for $799 you cannot beat the price!

nl

That is great nl. Was this your first Mac? Whatever the case, that was a great buy, for a very capable machine. Enjoy your new Mac. You can add a little RAM to it, if you like. Even adding a 256 stick would make a big difference. It is easy to do, and I don't think you would have any problem doing it yourself.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    (nl)(nl) Posts: 5member
    Very entertaining, alaskanblacklab. I'll head right out and get a Dell laptop and start working on porting OSX to it...

ibook911: Thanks. No, this is not my first Mac. My first Mac was actually a PowerMac 8500, probably system 7 would be my vague recollection. I sold it about 10 yrs ago, and used Windows NT on an HP Pentium-based system for a while due to work necessity. For the past 3 years or so, my home workstation was a self-built Pentium IV system running Linux.

I moved back to Mac last June when I bought a PowerMac G5 (dual 2.0, 1.5GB Ram, etc) to replace the Linux system. It's not that I don't still have great respect for Linux, but doing the things I wanted to do (intergrated apps, iPhoto, iMovie etc was just so much easier on the Mac).

Now I have two Mac minis (one is my wife's, to replace her virus-infested, ad-ware infested, spyware-infested Windows 98 system, and one replaced my Linux-based mail and backup server), and so the iBook makes the 4th Mac purchase in under one year. Add to that an iPod (mine), iPod mini (son's) and iPod Shuffle (wive) and I guess I should be posting to Apple's "switcher" web site!

nl
  • Reply 10 of 10
    just wait (nl)..coming soon to your mac..spyware,adware and hark...even viruses...

Install the right software and you don't have problems with the above mentioned...or go the *NOTICE, THIS COURSE OF ACTION COULD BE ILLEGAL...PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU HAVE BEEN FOREWARNED* "file-sharing" route and just download some software that takes care of those problems...and hey what do wives know?...LOL