23" or 30" + HDTV Cable Tuner?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I've been offered a large discount on a 23" Apple Display and I'm wondering if it's possible to use this monitor other than with the computer.

My dilemma is this. I'd like to use the discount, but I really don't need any new Apple hardware. I have an iMac G5 17" and a Mac mini setup as a web server.

I'll be moving into an apartment in May and while I have a 15" Samsung LCD TV, I'd like something bigger.

After May I'm not going to be able to have the mini hooked up as a server so it's available to drive the 23", but I'd rather have it hooked up to something a little faster and be put to better use, although a home theater setup with the Mac mini + 23" apple display would be nice.

So what I was thinking would be to get an HD cable box with DVI out (if something like that exists) and then get a DVI switch for the mini.

Or I could sell my iMac and probably get the base G5 tower, although I'd rather not do this because I don't think I'd be able to quite match the specs of the G5 to my iMac (1gig of RAM, 160GB, Airport, Bluetooth) and not spend more money.

Any advice is appreciated.

-taco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    It's a good question.

First off, I would say that's a good call on keeping the iMac.

As for the 23" CD, I do believe you can run them off of any DVI port. Motorola makes some really good HD tuners with DVI out but you can probably find other ones as well.

However, I'm not sure if the refresh rate will be quick enough for HDTV or even take advantage of HD signals. You will be able to display television to it, but I'm not sure if it will run at 720p or higher.

Unless someone here knows forsure, I think the best thing to do would be to call a good home theatre/audio store (not a big box store) and ask if they have an HD setup you can come try it on. Most places would be glad to help you out as they may be curious of the outcome too.

EDIT- also remember that the CD's are 16:10 widescreen and not 16:9 cinematic widescreen, so you're going to have it letterboxed regardless if it does run.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You should probably ask this in the AVS Forum > HTPC > Mac forum. I don't know how smart cable boxes are at supporting computer resolutions; I wouldn't bet on it working unless someone else has already tried it.