Tech Tools Defragger EVIL!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
All I have to say is OMG!!!

I ran Tech Tool's Defragmentation tool by booting from the CD. After the program went for hours and hours (overnight) I wake up finding that the program had froze, with no other choice I forcefully powered down the laptop. In rebooting, the ? finder face icon appeared...

Well, in calling Apple and running through things, it seems my B-Tree allocation tables are damaged and I would have no way to save the data by doing an archive and install... Right now I'm using Diskwarrior to see if it can save my precious data. But if it fails, at least I have my backups.

Lessons...

-Don't use Tech Tool's data manipulating utilities, just the hardware ones

-I hope Diskwarrior works

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The only problem I had with TTP was creating the eDisk. The disk partition didn't work and I had to reformat to fix it. I could still access my files and backup was no problem. the second time it worked and since then it has saved my butt many times. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dead... Not even Diskwarrior could save it. Diskwarrior said the drive was too seriously damaged to recover system.

Time to Reinstall Jaguar and upgrade to Panther
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You don't need to defrag OS X - in fact optimizing an OS X volume will slow it down, because OS X maintains a "Hot Zone" on the HD for frequently accessed files. Darwin automatically defrags large files on the fly.

Think about it, if Unix, Linux, Darwin, or any other open source operating system needed to be defragged and optimized on a regular basis, why would the developers "forget" to write such a program? It doesn't make any sense.

The need to optimize Windows and to a lesser extent Mac OS was essentially a patch for defective file systems. OS X is not defective. There is no need for a third party utility, you can run everything you need from Disk Utility, a GUI like Cocktail that runs command line scripts included with OS X, and occasionally by fsck'ing your HDs (hold down Apple-S while booting to launch single user mode, then follow the on-screen instructions, repeating until fsck shows no problems).

Throw out your Micromat and Norton utilities and find out why OS X rules!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    umm I was bored. DUH! It was spring break... haha

tech tools said I had 2,000 fragmented file parts, 1,300 fragmented files, and 9,862 fragmented disk sectors...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

umm I was bored. DUH! It was spring break... haha

tech tools said I had 2,000 fragmented file parts, 1,300 fragmented files, and 9,862 fragmented disk sectors...

Out of the total number of files on your disk, that amounted to less than 1% fragmented, probably closer to 0.1%. The thing that cannot be emphasized enough is that fragmentation in and of itself is not a bad thing. This is how disk operating systems are designed to work. The reason that disk fragmentation is the bane of the Windows user's existence is that the OS could easily lose track of file fragments. Microsoft includes DEFRAG with Windows for a reason. Apple has never included a defragmentation utility with any version of the MacOS prior to MacOS X. There was no reason to do so. As Junkyard Dawg said, MacOS X defrags on the fly.

Epilog: Norton has dropped development of Norton Utilities for the Mac. No need for it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Epilog: Norton has dropped development of Norton Utilities for the Mac. No need for it.

Now that is damn cool!

Apple should work this into a marketing campaign, sort of like the Maytag repair man ads. Just show some grunt at Norton complaining about how nobody is buying Norton Utilities for Mac OS X because Apple made their OS too solid.

Heh, I just told a windows user about Norton and he was floored. Says he runs Norton every week and doesn't know where he'd be without it. It definitely got him thinking harder about OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    yeah, mac os is driving me nuts with their lack of things that need maintainance...

It's my existence... When I have nothing to do, I usually run utility apps. So I have been forced to do maintainance on all the rest of my family computers to the point that everything is squeaky clean and nothing more to do...

Which drove me to use tech tools defragger... Did it even though I knew I didn't need it

WHAT A CRUEL WORLD!