Mail app - stupid question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all

In the "Message" menu option of the Mail app there are two options - Redirect and Bounce. Till now I was under the impression that there is no difference between the two. Does anyone here know why there are two options for (I think) the same action? I tried RTFMming, but there was no documentation for this!

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Bounce sends it back to the sender as if your email address did not exist. Just like when you send someone an email to a bogus address and it comes back to you with a lot of gibberish about the address not responding. You could probably send yourself a message then bounce it to see the result.

Redirect is totally different. Redirect is like Forward except that the original message is sent to the new address without any modification. Unless you edit something the receiver probably won't know you were involved. Actually, if they searched the headers they might find your name. Also, I've found that if you redirect an html email it doesn't display properly.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Neutrino, thanks for the clarification. In Linux bounce is normally used for the function that redirect serves on the Mac, hence my confusion.

Cheers