15 inch powerbook+17 inch flat screen or Tower/ibook combination???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, here's the deal. Recently, when the dualies first came out (5 months ago already?), I got myself a dual 800 and an ibook, for speed and DVD burning at home and rugged portability on the road.

Now that the powerbooks have the superdrive and are slightly down in price, and I'm a little tight on space in my apartment, I was thinking of getting the mid-size powerbook as a replacement for both, and keeping my 17 inch flat panel to plug into with the pbook when at home.

I use my laptop for writing and my desktop for amateur video editing and basic photoshop. The only real difference I've seen in the computers is the startup time (the dualie starts up in under a minute, while my ibook, and all the new pbooks take almost two minutes). Similarly, the programs take longer to load on the laptops. Another drawback to my current system: I've got files on both computers, sometimes I forget which end is up.

My question, kind ladies and gents, is two parts: (1) Do you think a 15inch pbook would be an adequate replacement for my current system given my needs and complaints? I'm confused as to how the 1 Ghz Pbook would compare to a Dual 800 tower in a real life setting. (2) If I were to sell both of my relatively new computers and buy the 15inch pbook, would I have any money left over? I'm trying to save for a high-end digital camera, and I was wondering if I had money left over from the switch, it might be worth it, otherwise, I might as well wait a few years and be happy with what I've got.

Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    im running a ti800 +1gb ram & it runs fine

i dont do video but i do code a lot on it

using vc++ under win2k under vpc & it seems

to handle it just fine...

im also running a small oracle9i database on it

so the 1gb should be just fine...just make sure

you have a gig of ram on it...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    for the files issue....use rysnc...

its unix you know ..all the tools you need

are on the system
  • Reply 3 of 3
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    How much will you get for both machines? Is it worth the effort. You have two machines that do the job of one and the tower at least ought to put in quite a few more years of service before it's ready to retire. Leave everything as is, no point spending money on a side-grade.