OS X to replace a Linux box. . .

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have and old RedHat 7.2 system that I want to upgrade. I have it running a firewall and NAT to the outside world then I have Samba running on it to serve files. Problem is that I can't upgrade this thing, and I have invested a lot of time with Linux and quite frankly haven't gotten very far. I forget stuff as fast as I learn it when it comes to Linux. This OS is for true Geeks. I can break it rather easily too.

My trusty old iMac DV SE 400 has been easy to upgrade and very trouble free. I would like a faster Mac to run the few Mac apps that I have and act as a server. It would make sense that many of the utilities exist for Linux for firewall and NAT must exist for OS X and might be much easier to configure and setup.

Wanted to know if any of you are doing similar thing with OS X? Any suggestions on what programs that you use to accomplish this?

Next what would be the best system to do something like this? Mini, iMac?

Thanks!

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hi Scott,

first I would suggest you get a dedicated router/firewall if it's in your budget. For this I recommend the Asante router.

If not OSX comes with easy to use NAT software. Just look in System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet. There is ample online help there also.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by skenkin

Hi Scott,

first I would suggest you get a dedicated router/firewall if it's in your budget. For this I recommend the Asante router.

If not OSX comes with easy to use NAT software. Just look in System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet. There is ample online help there also.

Good luck.

Hi Skenkin,

Yes, I do have a router between the outside world and my Linux box.

I also forgot to mention even though the Mini and iMac have one network port, a fellow at the Genius bar had a great suggestion to use a USB device for an additional port.

Also wanted to know if you can get DHCP and a printer server on OS X?

-Scott
  • Reply 3 of 6
    skenkinskenkin Posts: 28member
    I have not had to setup a DHCP server, I have setup a DNS server, BIND 9.2.2 ships with OS X.

All you need to do is add the required configuration files, step-by-step guide to setting up your DNS server can be found here: dns server setup

Most firewall/routers come with a DHCP server built-in. This is what I use and set the DNS server for this DHCP server to the one I have setup on my Mac Mini.

Sorry for the late reply, hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I am also going to recommend that you leave the routing duties to one of the cheap consumer router out there. Unless you really know what you are doing you won't get any benefit out of having the computer serve as the router.

Secondly, I am going to recommend strongly against using a USB ethernet adapter, especially in a situation where performance and reliability are important. For a last-resort client adapter I am ok with them, but in this case a solid "no".

Apple also does have a Rendezvous client for Windows. It handles printer configuration and service discovery, but does not handle the IP address autoconfiguration that the Mac client does.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    skenkinskenkin Posts: 28member
    It slipped me but I also agree to NOT going with USB ethernet.

Quite frankly I don't see a need for your Linux box, unless as a file server, if you have plenty of room on it.

The Mac Mini can handle the DNS server role quite easily and even email if you require.

That's just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Dunno about using Mac for DHCP, NAT, serving files, or printing (well, beyond sharing a printer at home on one).

However, we recently replaced an aging-held-together-by-duct-tape Linux web/database server with a Mac Mini. We aren't doing anything too strenuous with it (small/medium databases with only 10-30 users at any given time), but for our needs, the Mini works great. And it was cheap, is quiet, and takes up no space (my office is our server room). Runs Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL, and MySQL. Our office PCs connect to the databases using MS Access (ala ODBC) or a web browser (ala PHP).