Amazon offers $35 off Mac OS X "Tiger" pre-orders

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Tipsters have recently noted that Amazon.com is offering a $35 rebate on all pre-orders of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (single license version), reducing the cost from $129.99 down to $94.99. Additionally, the online retailer is offering $50 Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Family Pack, which allows users to install the operating system on up to 5 Macintosh computers. According to Amazon, only purchases made between Jan. 9 and May 31, 2005 qualify for the discount. Further details and a printable copy of the rebate are available here.

Update: It appears that, for unknown reasons, Apple has once again asked Amazon to disable Mac OS X Tiger pre-orders. Amazon has also removed the associated rebate info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm there!

Education pricing is better, but the rest of us are unlikely to do better than $94.95 (and free shipping too).

And with software, I'm hoping Apple can get sufficient quantities to all sources pretty quickly anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I'm there!

Education pricing is better, but the rest of us are unlikely to do better than $94.95 (and free shipping too).

And with software, I'm hoping Apple can get sufficient quantities to all sources pretty quickly anyway.

How much will the education discount be?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Edu pricing on OS X is typically $50 off, or $79 (and Apple too has free shipping).

EDIT: $60 off, equals $69! Even better... (See below.)

(Check out some of Apple's edu software prices, too... sometimes you pay less than half price! Like Logic Express for $99 I seem to recall.)
  • Reply 4 of 37
    $50-$79 off and it's instant. No need to mail it in like Amazon. I'll stick with Apple's rebate.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Currently, it's $69 for Panther. I'd expect the same for Tiger.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Not $79 off: $79 (US) is the the total after subtratcing the $50 discount.

As I say, edu pricing is better than Amazon, if you qualify.

I didn't know they'd dropped Panther to $69. When did they do that? Is is possibly only because it's an aging version? (I can't even go check now because the Apple store is suddenly completely bogged down!)

If that's true for Tiger too then you edu folks get $60 off!
  • Reply 7 of 37
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    hmm, my search for mac os x tiger at Amazon.com seems a bit off

Quote:

• Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Not $79 off: $79 (US) is the the total after subtratcing the $50 discount.

As I say, edu pricing is better than Amazon, if you qualify.

I didn't know they'd dropped Panther to $69. When did they do that? Is is possibly only because it's an aging version? (I can't even go check now because the Apple store is suddenly completely bogged down!)

If that's true for Tiger too then you edu folks get $60 off!

IIRC, it's always been $69 for education customers.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

IIRC, it's always been $69 for education customers.

Panther's £69 over here and £99 is the normal price.... They need to sort their pricing out really.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

I'm there!

Amazon usually gets OS shipments out quick. They have in the past. But remember here its not $35 off, its a $35 rebate. Edu pricing isn't a rebate, so you're not stuck waiting for a check that may never come.

And pre-order quick if you're thinking of it, in case they kill the deal in a few days, like they did a couple of years ago.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    I want to pre-order tiger but I live in the UK, would it be worth my while to get it from the US or wait until the Apple store in the UK have it?
  • Reply 12 of 37
    So, where is this "Family Deal" that the article makes mention of. I've searched Amazon, looked under "Other products by Apple," and so on and cannot find it? Anyone got a link?

What's the Government discount going to be, any thoughts?
  • Reply 13 of 37
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    If this offer is only for pre-orders UP TO May 31, that suggests to me that Tiger's launch will be between 1 and 30 June...
  • Reply 14 of 37
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, this should certainly speed early adoption of the os, wouldn't you think???
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Yep, looking back at my notes when helping friends shop... looks like $69 is it and always has been. So I'm that much MORE jealous of edu folks!

I don't think Amazon's guess on the date tells us much... it might mean something or it might be just an arbitrary date, and for now we don't know which
  • Reply 16 of 37
    wyszwysz Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjuchter

So, where is this "Family Deal" that the article makes mention of. I've searched Amazon, looked under "Other products by Apple," and so on and cannot find it? Anyone got a link?

What's the Government discount going to be, any thoughts?

I found it here by searching for the ASIN # listed on the rebate form. However, you will see that the product is listed as "not available" and the "Date first available at Amazon" is March 28, 2005. Another funny thing is that the top of the rebate form refers to it as a "Family Pac" while the other mention correctly calls it a "Family Pack."

I've tried to alert Amazon to the problem, and my experience is documented here.

Current U.S. Federal employee price for Panther is $107.10 at the Apple Store; expect a similar price for Tiger.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Too late people. Amazon no longer lists it for sale. Just like last time, they posted it, got a big rush (probably), maybe yelled at by Apple, then pulled the offer (and the product!)
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Too late people. Amazon no longer lists it for sale. Just like last time, they posted it, got a big rush (probably), maybe yelled at by Apple, then pulled the offer (and the product!)

What are you talking about? I'm still seeing it.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I dont know if i got lucky or something, but when i purchased a laptop with the edu pricing, i didnt have to prove it at all. I just put that i went to the UA and that was that. If thats the case everyone could say they go to some university and get the edu prices. Is this normal?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by A Yellow Bandit

I dont know if i got lucky or something, but when i purchased a laptop with the edu pricing, i didnt have to prove it at all. I just put that i went to the UA and that was that. If thats the case everyone could say they go to some university and get the edu prices. Is this normal?

That is normal at Apple.com. Obviously, I do not believe non-students or employees of schools should do this, but the online system only asks for your school. If you go to the Apple Store, they will probably ask for an ID.