PyMusique & Apple battle it out

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
PyMusique is an application for Windows and Linux that allows a user to buy music off the iTunes Music Store that is not DRM protected.

Apple released iTunes 4.7 to thwart PyMusique, but only one day later the author had reverse-engineered the new encryption and released updated software of his own.

A great op-ed on the moral nature of this stuff can be found here.

I'm leery of using solutions like these, but I am glad they exist.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Go Py! Go Py!!!!

Muahahahahahaha... death to DRM bs
  • Reply 2 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I would bet that if they released a version of iTunes for Linux they wouldn't have problems like this. But, as usual, Linux doesn't get anything from Apple. No QuickTime Player, no iTunes... nada.

You have an iTunes for MacOS, normally, you have one for WinTel, understood, but not have one for Linux? It's not a hobbyist system anymore. People actually use it. I'm not inclined to say that the number of buyers would be terribly big, but I'm sure that they wouldn't have problems like this.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Go Py! Go Py!!!!

Muahahahahahaha... death to DRM bs

maybe you're forgetting or didnt see that apple is now forcing all iTMS users to have 4.7.1, which has more restrictive sharing features. and really, if you want DRM-free songs, go to best buy. Most CD's are 9.99 now and you can get lossless, DRM-free music! oh wait, that would mean going outside and leaving the computer chair behind for a few minutes.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If I ever meet him...I'm going to punch DVD Jon in the nose
  • Reply 5 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

maybe you're forgetting or didnt see that apple is now forcing all iTMS users to have 4.7.1, which has more restrictive sharing features. and really, if you want DRM-free songs, go to best buy. Most CD's are 9.99 now and you can get lossless, DRM-free music! oh wait, that would mean going outside and leaving the computer chair behind for a few minutes.

DUDE, I so agree with you! Go to the store or amazon.com and get a high quality experiance,, not like the 128 bit crap in iTms

Use ITMS for a sampling service.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Is it feasible to send money directly to artists?

I think it would be morally acceptable to say, download a few albums of a band and then send that band a check for $10 (probably a bigger cut than they would get from 3 CDs anyway).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I think it would be morally acceptable to say, download a few albums of a band and then send that band a check for $10 (probably a bigger cut than they would get from 3 CDs anyway).

buy t-shirts i'm pretty sure they get a large cut on merch.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

I support the artists by going to their concerts, I want to see someone sweat for their money. I will never support any DRM as long as I'm breathing, not because I thinks it's evil but a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

maybe you're forgetting or didnt see that apple is now forcing all iTMS users to have 4.7.1, which has more restrictive sharing features

Is the DRM a function of the version of iTunes you are using or a function of a date in time at which it all changed?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Most artists make about a dollar per CD.

Nick