Back up question..

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to backup your settings, preferences, address book, email accounts, bookmarks, etc.. I'm not sure exactly how to word this question, so let me give a hypothetical..

Can you backup everything about your computer so that if you were to install a system, and your apps, on a new, empty, hard drive, you could then restore, and basically have no other work to do?

Forgive me. I'm very tired. I just wanted to ask this now while I thought to, as I am certain I would have forgotten this tomorrow.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

Is there a way to backup your settings, preferences, address book, email accounts, bookmarks, etc.. I'm not sure exactly how to word this question, so let me give a hypothetical..

Can you backup everything about your computer so that if you were to install a system, and your apps, on a new, empty, hard drive, you could then restore, and basically have no other work to do?

Forgive me. I'm very tired. I just wanted to ask this now while I thought to, as I am certain I would have forgotten this tomorrow.

Thanks

Yes, there are numerous back-up utilities for MacOS X. Apple bundles one such utility with your .mac subscription. To find others, search VersionTracker.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i just copied my home folder to my ipod using the command prompt (to get the hidden files). It restored everything just wonderfully.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i just copied my home folder to my ipod using the command prompt (to get the hidden files). It restored everything just wonderfully.

Thank you both..

Command prompt to get the hidden files? I am not familiar. Could you explain?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I use a wonderful little program called Carbon Copy Cloner along with his linked-to unofficial build of psync. I have an external FW drive with a partition that has a full bootable clone of my internal HD. I update it a few times a week.

So basically, if my internal HD were to fail, I could boot off my external as if nothing ever happened.