PSP and the Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, the PSP will work as a memory stick reader on the Mac according to the PSP site. Will the PSP be able to play movies form Quicktime and the memory stick? And songs from iTunes? And will it read my USB Memory Key in the USB 2.0 slot? All questions I wish to have answered.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 17
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    There's this application called "iPSP" and it's basically a media management application for the PSP and the Mac, I guess it'll compress videos into the format that the PSP will read from the memory stick.



    http://ipsp.kaisakura.com/



    I'm still borderline on this whole PSP thing. While I think the device itself looks sweet and the specs are impressive, the games are not.



    I hear the movie and music playback sucks unless you buy the movies on the UMD's-who wants to buy the movies they own again?!?!



    What I'm looking forward to would be a larger capacity memory stick thats affordable- like 2-4GB that can store a movie or two that I've compressed.



    They should have built in a 4gb microdrive and axed the UMD and memory stick. Then have the PSP sync games over the USB 2 cable from a PS2 or something...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I;m also on the borderline, All my freinds have been really excited though, so I'm looking into it.



    Personally, I think they should have put a 1.8 inch Hard Drive with 20 gigs on it. That would be better than paying $100 plus for a good memory card or buying UMD Movies and Music.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Somebody has to come up with a Memory Stick (interface) to CF adapter...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by isomething

    I;m also on the borderline, All my freinds have been really excited though, so I'm looking into it.



    Personally, I think they should have put a 1.8 inch Hard Drive with 20 gigs on it. That would be better than paying $100 plus for a good memory card or buying UMD Movies and Music.




    I agree. I don't understand why you come out with something like this in 2005, without a hard drive.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    the main reason sony did this, is because they are hoping this will make more people buy their overpriced memory sticks. and they may be right.. the memory stick is more expensive than its counterparts, larger, and used in less items, so if more people buy the PSP, and then start buying memory sticks.... they will make more money on the memory sticks than the psps they sell.

  • Reply 6 of 17
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I am pretty sure that I saw generic memory sticks for Sony products at Best Buy not too long ago. While these weren't cheap by any means, they were cheaper than the Sony branded ones.



    Does anyone know if Sony plans on selling their little optical discs blank so that we can burn our own at home?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mikefmikef Posts: 697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kishan

    Does anyone know if Sony plans on selling their little optical discs blank so that we can burn our own at home?



    Is it something that can be burned with a regular CD/DVD-RW? I doubt it being that they are 1.8GB capacity and very small.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    umd discs aren't actually "discs," per se, they are kind of like floppy's in the sense that they wouldn't spin in a normal cd drive. they're almost squared-off on one side (at least this is how i've perceived every photo i've seen and every article i've read). so to transfer to the discs, it seems like you'll have to get a whole new drive, which kind of sucks, but we'll see how standardized this format becomes. also, with the whole memory stick thing, it seems like sony is going to be changing from the traditional memory cards like on the ps1 and ps2 to memory sticks. i mean, just look, the ps2 uses 8mb memory cards, which cost about 20 or 25 dollars, and the psp uses 32 mb memory stick duos. i've heard talk of being able to use your saved games from the psp and use them with the ps2/3 version. so, anywhom, i'm guessing the ps3 will have memory cards AND memory sticks to allow the maximum compatibility, and it'll have good compatibility with computers. woot!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by exhibit_13

    umd discs aren't actually "discs," per se, they are kind of like floppy's in the sense that they wouldn't spin in a normal cd drive. they're almost squared-off on one side (at least this is how i've perceived every photo i've seen and every article i've read). so to transfer to the discs, it seems like you'll have to get a whole new drive, which kind of sucks, but we'll see how standardized this format becomes. also, with the whole memory stick thing, it seems like sony is going to be changing from the traditional memory cards like on the ps1 and ps2 to memory sticks. i mean, just look, the ps2 uses 8mb memory cards, which cost about 20 or 25 dollars, and the psp uses 32 mb memory stick duos. i've heard talk of being able to use your saved games from the psp and use them with the ps2/3 version. so, anywhom, i'm guessing the ps3 will have memory cards AND memory sticks to allow the maximum compatibility, and it'll have good compatibility with computers. woot!





    Sony is not going to open up burning to UMD's. Even the game developers have to send the game file to Sony for Sony to burn it using their own production lines. As of now, you cann't buy blank UMD's, or UMD drives. Smart on Sony's part, and game pirating would go through the roof if this happened.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Alcibiades

    Sony is not going to open up burning to UMD's. Even the game developers have to send the game file to Sony for Sony to burn it using their own production lines. As of now, you cann't buy blank UMD's, or UMD drives. Smart on Sony's part, and game pirating would go through the roof if this happened.



    Huh, so what about PlayStation DVD's? UMD recorders will come out if Sony is going to make any head-way with this format.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Relic

    Huh, so what about PlayStation DVD's? UMD recorders will come out if Sony is going to make any head-way with this format.



    I don't think they want UMD's to become a huge format...pretty much the only use for them would be to pirate movies and games really. Right now the only use for it is to sell games and movies. They may open it up to other companies, allowing them to burn their own apps for it, but why open it up to the public, who will mainly use it to pirate? Makes no sense to me...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Alcibiades

    I don't think they want UMD's to become a huge format...pretty much the only use for them would be to pirate movies and games really. Right now the only use for it is to sell games and movies. They may open it up to other companies, allowing them to burn their own apps for it, but why open it up to the public, who will mainly use it to pirate? Makes no sense to me...



    You can say that about any current media, why allow CDR's we're just going to rip off the content providers. I might agree UMD might not be on Sony's must push technology list but to say their not going to release a recorder because of piracy is a bit eccentric. I'm almost positive will see a Sony PVR soon that will use UMD to be played on the PSP.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    thats a good point about the pirating thing, i hadn't really thought of that, but it seems to me like sony will want to broaden the horizons of their own new format, but who knows. its also a fairly... odd... format to use, so it seems like it won't have a lot of market presence, since DVD is so prevalent. i highly doubt it will be revolutionary in any way, so the existence of consumer devices for writing UMD's seems unlikely
  • Reply 14 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The Memory Stick is here to stay. Sony has even developed many different professional video units (cameras, camera setup controllers, video switchers, etc.) that use Memory Sticks to store vital system info such as chroma key settings, color setups, diagnostic info, and so on.



    More info.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    The Memory Stick is here to stay. Sony has even developed many different professional video units (cameras, camera setup controllers, video switchers, etc.) that use Memory Sticks to store vital system info such as chroma key settings, color setups, diagnostic info, and so on.



    More info.




    Uuuh, we're discussing UMD (Universal Media Disk) not Memory Stick. Thanks for the link though, cool stuff. I want this one;



  • Reply 16 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Relic

    Uuuh, we're discussing UMD (Universal Media Disk) not Memory Stick. Thanks for the link though, cool stuff. I want this one;









    Oooooh, I think you meant to say XDCAM disks;





    Specifications



    Storage capacity

    23.3GB



    Laser wavelength

    405 nm (blue-violet)



    Data transfer (writing) rate

    72 Mb/s (per optical head)



    Disc diameter

    120 mm (4 5/8 inches)



    Cartridge dimensions

    (W x H x D) 129 x 131 x 9 mm

    (5 1/8 x 5 1/4 x 3/8 inches)



    Mass

    89g (3oz)



    Recording format

    Phase change recording



    They do look like UMD don't they, hmmm .....
  • Reply 17 of 17
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Except they're a helluva lot bigger.



    Sony isn't going to open up UMDs for at least a few years. They want to keep it PSP only for a while, milk as much as they can out of keeping people locked from copying games or movies... and then, once they do open it up more, you can be sure it'll include its own DRM scheme on anything you copy.
Sign In or Register to comment.