iPod upgrade

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi, my 3G iPod battery is really bad now and i decided i need a new iPod. Instead of payin 100$ for the new battery, i figured it would be better spent buying a new ipod. now i want the regular iPod, nothing fancy, but i think the 5G iPod will be coming out like this fall or late summer? the ipod is simple enough they cant really change it. add a color screen, more battery, thats about it isnt it? is it best just to wait for the new version or does it really not matter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I would just buy now. 4G iPods are a great choice and the clickwheel is many times better than the touch sensitive buttons on 3G iPods.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Although buying now is very good advice personally I'm waiting for g5.

But than again I am waiting for a g5 photo.

my battery is still hanging in there for the moment(g3), if i was in your shoes i would buy now.

j.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I would go to smalldog.com and get a battery for your 3G for $29 then take the 5 minutes it takes to install it, and be fine for another couple years.

But thats just me I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The battery for my 3G iPod doesn't last as long now, but I would consider getting a new one before buying a new battery because the touch-sensitive buttons are basically a step back in the evolution of the iPod.

I'm sure many 3G owners find it annoying that the device has to live in permanent "hold" mode because it's annoyingly easy to change tracks when you didn't mean to. A design flaw with this iteration of the iPod. I always felt they changed the basic face of the iPod because they just wanted to show off their cool touch-sensitive buttons and they didn't do appropriate testing.

The 3G is just a weird iPod. Why did I buy it? My 2G got stolen and I needed a replacement and the mini hadn't been born yet. Oh well, I still love it anyway, touch-sensitive buttons and all.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Since we're on the topic of upgrading and the weird 3g iPod buttons, here's something I've been wondering this for awhile now...

I have a nice ol' 2g iPod and it's battery is working well, 8 hours instead of the original 10, but someday I'll want to upgrade. If I do the $100 batt replacement thing what kind of iPod will I get back? I mean they definitely can't expect to ALWAYS have my same model available. So if they were out of spare 2g 20 giggers would they give me a 3g or 4g? Or would they just take a week or 2 to actually upgrade my own pod and send that back? I'd really rather not have a 3g...not that it'd be so horrible but like somebody said it'd be a bit of a step back.

So has anybody sent in an older pod lately and what happened?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by joblowski

Since we're on the topic of upgrading and the weird 3g iPod buttons, here's something I've been wondering this for awhile now...

I have a nice ol' 2g iPod and it's battery is working well, 8 hours instead of the original 10, but someday I'll want to upgrade. If I do the $100 batt replacement thing what kind of iPod will I get back? I mean they definitely can't expect to ALWAYS have my same model available. So if they were out of spare 2g 20 giggers would they give me a 3g or 4g? Or would they just take a week or 2 to actually upgrade my own pod and send that back? I'd really rather not have a 3g...not that it'd be so horrible but like somebody said it'd be a bit of a step back.

So has anybody sent in an older pod lately and what happened?

they will change the battery in your ipod and send it back.

Did I just have to explain that? hmm

it takes 5 minutes to change the battery and it's quite easy for a non-tech person to do. However, if your ipod was fuxored and Apple/Repair were in a good mood, they may send you a newer ipod. I think that only happens for "teh truly faithful" apple user.