Can't find a file. Possibly invisible?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A very important file which is accessed and saved frequently has disappeared off of a friends PBook. I am going to see if I can't recover the file for them, but after using some sort of utility, I am not sure what else to try. She's certain it wasn't deleted, or thrown in the trash. Could it somehow have been marked as an invisible file? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, 1.33Ghz, 12", G4 PBook w/ 10.3.8

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If it is invisible, you can use the Finder's "Find" command to specify that.

Moving to Genius Bar....
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If it is invisible, you can use the Finder's "Find" command to specify that.

Moving to Genius Bar....

Thanks. Unfortunately, that has not worked.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Just in case this is happening, there is a bug in the Finder that limits the returned search items to around 500. (504, 498, 511, etc)

If you're getting a lot of results, and hitting that limit, you may want to tighten up your parameters a bit.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Just in case this is happening, there is a bug in the Finder that limits the returned search items to around 500. (504, 498, 511, etc)

If you're getting a lot of results, and hitting that limit, you may want to tighten up your parameters a bit.

I often do searches and more than 500 results appear, I can get thousands. Does the bug only effect certain computers?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, some people see it, some don't, but the 500+/- seems to be a pretty consistent symptom.