"The all-new iMac G5"???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
anyone else seeing "the all-new iMac G5" banner at the top of www.apple.com/startpage???

nothing has changed, but what the hell is going on?

someone please fill me in because it is seriously annoying me...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Yah I see it, it is rather confusing... I dont know how they could call it all new? There is nothing different and hasnt been anything different in almost 8 months
  • Reply 2 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Still feels pretty new to me. But then I also have the G3 450 imac SE

standing here in a corner...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    <wishfulthinking>It'll be new to me when I buy a RevB iMac in a few short weeks.</wishfulthinking>
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    They did the same with the PowerBooks. I think it was Jan or Feb and Apple still had "New PowerBooks" when they hadn't been touched since April of 2004 (10 months!) Off topic, I still think they haven't been touched as this was a stopgap update. Maybe they should say "Sorta New {product}", huh?

• Reply 5 of 14
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Same with the cinema displays right now too. They always say "new." Everything does.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    "the slightly new when compared to other apple products that desperately need upgrades immediately but theres no need for you mac fanatics to recheck this page tonight because its just to get rid of the iMacs but you can buy them anyway because dont wry there wont be an update in the near future meaning the next 24 hrs which is a disappointment but who cares because i still cant play doom 3 on it anywayz....iMac G5!" buy online now!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well I would hope that something is new. I thought there was a federal law relating to how long a product could be considered "New".

Of course with a computer all you would have to do is to change the software configuration and you are NEW agian. The reality is the machine could use a refresh on its included software.

DAve

Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

anyone else seeing "the all-new iMac G5" banner at the top of www.apple.com/startpage???

someone please fill me in because it is seriously annoying me...

• Reply 8 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

Webmaster dreams ?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Confirmed: Apple is desperate and cannot update their iMacs until they update their Powermacs, which they cannot update until IBM finishes work on their new PPC 970mp chips, which IBM cannot do until Apple buys in greater volume.

Why must Apple hardware suck when their software totally rules?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Confirmed: Apple is desperate and cannot update their iMacs until they update their Powermacs, which they cannot update until IBM finishes work on their new PPC 970mp chips, which IBM cannot do until Apple buys in greater volume.

Why must Apple hardware suck when their software totally rules?

Let see imacs will continue to use the 970FX or get a lower clocked GX and have single cores and single CPU. While the Powermacs have dual CPU utterly crushing the iMacs. The iMacs can be updated to 2 Ghz and not harm Powermac sales. What would be a good sign of what is coming in the next Pmac update if the iMacs get updated next Friday or so( which TS has reported) with a 9600 or something similar. Which would mean Apple is planning to dump the 5200. But, don't get your hopes up. Looks like the 5200 will be in the iMacs for at least one more revision.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    "Confirmed: Apple is desperate and cannot update their iMacs until they update their Powermacs, which they cannot update until IBM finishes work on their new PPC 970mp chips, which IBM cannot do until Apple buys in greater volume."

I agree. If they released a 2 GHZ model, we would have an iMac that is faster than the low end Powermac (single processor, 1.8GHZ)... that would be as if they released an iBook faster than some Powerbook... nonsense
  • Reply 12 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by propropro

"Confirmed: Apple is desperate and cannot update their iMacs until they update their Powermacs, which they cannot update until IBM finishes work on their new PPC 970mp chips, which IBM cannot do until Apple buys in greater volume."

I agree. If they released a 2 GHZ model, we would have an iMac that is faster than the low end Powermac (single processor, 1.8GHZ)... that would be as if they released an iBook faster than some Powerbook... nonsense

Be careful what you say, faster ibooks than powerbooks just may happen.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Well that's good I think once every 2 years it's good to have a machine that blows you away....

Lol wasn't 3.0ghz towers supposed to be here last year?

Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Be careful what you say, faster ibooks than powerbooks just may happen.

• Reply 14 of 14
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Its just like the "cutting edge graphics" of the ibooks - a radeon something or other with 32mb of ram - Wha who.

The worst offender is the old Intel Extreme Intergrated graphics - im talking the first one buy the way - 32mb of memory shared and about enough GPU power to do the fade effects in XP