Mac Switcher

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I fired up my new iMac yesterday and although I know it's very early days, I'm already wondering if I made the right decision to switch. I've managed to connect to the internet, but otherwise I find OSX a little confusing.

I'm not criticising, it's just some things seem odd to me. I don't understand this "Finder" thing - it's like I have to open this program before I can open anything else which seems an extra unnecessary step to me.

Can anyone recommend a good guide to for a complete Mac newbie to make me feel more at home with my new iMac? A book, or a website, or something?

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    If it helps, think of the Finder as the equivalent of Windows Explorer on Windows. It's a file manager application - just that Windows doesn't necessarily title it as an open application anytime you open up "My Documents" or hit Windows-E on the keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    If you dont like going into the Finder all the time, then while you are there, drag the application icons, folder icons or file icons you want easy access to into the Dock. That provides much easier access and only requires a single click to open them whereas in Windows you double click desktop shortcuts. See, the Mac OS is easier, you just have to familiarize yourself with it.

With regard to a book, I suggest anything by David Pogue, his "Missing Manual" series is pretty good. Link
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RSteve

Can anyone recommend a good guide to for a complete Mac newbie to make me feel more at home with my new iMac? A book, or a website, or something?

Thank you.

Try this -

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/...smac?full=1#27

_
  • Reply 4 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

If it helps, think of the Finder as the equivalent of Windows Explorer on Windows. It's a file manager application - just that Windows doesn't necessarily title it as an open application anytime you open up "My Documents" or hit Windows-E on the keyboard.

By no means i would be thinking of the "Finder"

as a mere equivalent of Windows Explorer. Don't.

You will just end up treating your Mac as an IntelBox

with a more colorful OS. You will just end up treating your MacOS

as a somewhat bad copy of "Windows".

Don't think in "Windows" terms. Forget Windows entirely.

Try to learn some basics about the Finder, your

visual and vivid organisation tool of all your content.

As soon as you understand some basic rules, you won't

miss your mac anymore. Believe me.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I recommend David Pogue's Mac OS X "Missing Manual" books, they're easy to read and provide a fairly detailed look at OS X.

As for the Finder, keep in mind that any GUI is an application. Do you mean you find it cumbersome to poke through Finder windows to get at your docs and apps? If so, then try putting stuff in the dock. You can drag your home folder to the dock (or any other folder), right click or control click, and drill through a hierarchical menu of its contents. For more customization, I like to fill folders full of aliases (shortcuts) certain applications, for example, a folder for audio, for graphics, for internet, and so forth. Then I paste a custom icon on the folders and put them in the dock for one click access to my apps. It's like customizing the Start Menu, but more versatile and faster access.

Also, don't forget that you can customize the left and top side of your finder windows with shortcuts to folders, apps, and documents.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but before long most Mac users have a personalized GUI that suites them well. That's a trait of Apple - they provide many, many different methods to perform each task in the GUI, and let the user customize their GUI interaction by using the set of methods they prefer.

If it helps any, when OS X was initially released there was a ton of freaking out on the internet by devoted Mac OS 9 users. They just couldn't deal with O X and missed all the GUI features they were used to using. After a while all that discomfort died out and now Mac users all rave about OS X - so if OS 9 users need a while to adjust, Windows users can expect at least the same adjustment period.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    bastionbastion Posts: 16member
    Hi,

As someone who has no experience of Apple Mac?s other than a few quick fiddles on an iBook in PCWorld and a read of a couple of Panther books (all theory, no practise), I look to you clever people at this nice little forum for advice. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now and so far (by reading other n00bs queries and your expert response) my twenty questions are down to about three!

Help with regards to any or all would be deeply appreciated.

One. I would be looking to keep my sensitive information absolutely secure, most likely on a USB flash drive. I thought I read somewhere about it being possible to switch users automatically once a flash drive was detected, but have since been unable to find where I might have seen that. Is there any chance this is possible? Also, would the Mac keep any record like a backup of what is on the flash once it has been removed? I was never able to trust Windows in this way ? it liked to bury copies of everything in dark places without my say so!

B. Filevault ? good thing or bad thing? The Mac will be connected to a wireless network and the internet and I am none to keen to have my files snooped on or copied, renamed or deleted by remote users. From what I have read Filevault acts on the Home folder, which as far as I understand is everything in the documents folder for the logged in user. Is it not possible to just filevault a couple of subfolders for that user, or must it be everything? Oh ? and switching filevault on for one user doesn?t mean it?s on for all users does it? What?s the story on filevaulting a flash drive?

Lastly. Antivirus, spyware, popups etc. As far as I can tell, no protection is needed. Indeed, the protection remedies seem a greater threat than what they are trying to protect against. I have never been fan of Norton ? two years my PC would hang at shut down because of that little fella. So the virus and spyware programs may end up on the Mac, but they won?t be able to launch. Is that right? Supposing I create a new user and limit that users access to internet only. Would any malware arriving on the Mac go into that users directory alone, or would it be a global problem? If it was that user only, I could just remove him every so often and wipe out his files and then create another user with similar limits immediately after. True or false???

I am sure I would find the answers myself if only I had a machine to play with for a couple of hours. I do not however have this luxury and the technical books get a bit heavy without any practical know-how, so here?s hoping for a good response ? and a 12? iBook with updated graphics card and Tiger within a month or two!!!

Oh, just one more thing, everyone seems to recommend Applecare and there are plenty of people out there saying every Apple they?ve ever bought has been in for repair, but they love them anyway. Are they really that poor quality? It may help if a few of you could post that you?ve never had anything repaired to counter these stories. Or aren?t there any such cases??? Again, thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    iAm a lucky one with repairs. Never have had one since my first mac in 92. from my IIci, 'til my imac G5 totaling 9 macs plus 3 iPods in all. The hard drive in the IIci did take a shit, and iReplaced the battery in my orig. 5GB iPod though. Good Luck, Randy
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bastion

B. Filevault ? good thing or bad thing? The Mac will be connected to a wireless network and the internet and I am none to keen to have my files snooped on or copied, renamed or deleted by remote users. From what I have read Filevault acts on the Home folder, which as far as I understand is everything in the documents folder for the logged in user. Is it not possible to just filevault a couple of subfolders for that user, or must it be everything? Oh ? and switching filevault on for one user doesn?t mean it?s on for all users does it? What?s the story on filevaulting a flash drive?

In "Windows" terms your "Mac OS X Home folder" is your very own

directory or environment. Everything which is nested in the "Home folder"

is your "private" environment. The private/home folder contains the

documents, music, picture etc. folder. "Filevault" protects/encrypts the entire

"home" folder. You can not protect/encrypt single files/folders with "Filevault".

You can only protect/encrypt your home folder. "Filevault"

doesn't protect external volumes, say flash drives. Every user can use

"Filevault" by its own. To "filevault" your home folder doesn't mean to

"filevault" any other home folder. They remain untouched.

Hope that explains something.

Quote:

Supposing I create a new user and limit that users access to internet only. Would any malware arriving on the Mac go into that users directory alone, or would it be a global problem? If it was that user only, I could just remove him every so often and wipe out his files and then create another user with similar limits immediately after. True or false???

True. But don't worry, That won't happen any time soon.

So fare no anti-vir-spy-tools is needed for the Mac.

There is a nice online checker called ShildsUp. I have never seen a Mac that

failed the tests But almost every Windows system i encountered

was at least ... er... vulnerable.

Quote:

Lastly. Antivirus, spyware, popups etc. As far as I can tell, no protection is needed. Indeed, the protection remedies seem a greater threat than what they are trying to protect against. I have never been fan of Norton ? two years my PC would hang at shut down because of that little fella. So the virus and spyware programs may end up on the Mac, but they won?t be able to launch. Is that right? ...

Regarding Spyware and adware and such, which try to bounce

onto your computer while you are surfing on some

"specialized" sites, the mac OS succsessfuly hinder them to do so.

In some rare cases you will download some unwanted "wierdname.php"

files. Simply trash them. I don't even know, if these

automaticaly downloaded ".php" files have something to

do with the subject.

Regarding Viruses. You will receive Viruses through email

attachments. Quantity depends on your habits But relax, they

all are harmless on the mac. You can have some looopy fun if you

gonna open them, while your windows friends stand aside an'

watching you. (They'll all scream: DON'T OPEN; STUPID!")

The fun part using a mac

Quote:

Oh, just one more thing, everyone seems to recommend Applecare and there are plenty of people out there saying every Apple they?ve ever bought has been in for repair, but they love them anyway. Are they really that poor quality? It may help if a few of you could post that you?ve never had anything repaired to counter these stories. Or aren?t there any such cases??? Again, thanks.

Well, this is plain nonsense. Since this is a dedicated apple forum,

which purpose is to share Mac experiences you will also read a

lot of, say, negative experiences. This is statistics.

The huge majority of Mac users do not encounter hardware

problems. The huge majority of Mac users also do not visit

Internet sites like "Appleinsider" and such. The huge majority

of Mac users simply enjoy the Beauty of the Hardware and the

Mac OS X.

Greetings, welcome anyway
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

"Filevault" protects/encrypts the entire

"home" folder. You can not protect/encrypt single files/folders with "Filevault".

You can only protect/encrypt your home folder.

However, you can always use an encrypted disk image if you wish to lock some files or folders. Perhaps not so convenient as Filevault, but it is a nice solution.

You simply launch Disk Utility ( from /Applications/Utilities/ ) and you click the "New Image" button. A dialog will ask you about save name and location, size, encryption and format. The new disk image will mount automatically and you can drag and drop any files/folders inside. Of course you cannot exceed the size you specified at creation time. If you unmount the disk image, only the corresponding file will remain. Double clicking the file will open a dialog asking for the password you used to lock it. Giving the password unlocks the disk image that mounts on the desktop and all the files are again accessible. Take care to not forget this password or your files will be lost forever. It is the same advice that applies to Filevault users too.

128-bit protection through encrypted disk images or Filevault is the ultimate, and perhaps the only, protection you can have against even the most drastic attack, which is local physical access to the hard drive.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

However, you can always use an encrypted disk image if you wish to lock some files or folders. Perhaps not so convenient as Filevault, but it is a nice solution.

You simply launch Disk Utility ( from /Applications/Utilities/ ) and you click the "New Image" button. A dialog will ask you about save name and location, size, encryption and format. The new disk image will mount automatically and you can drag and drop any files/folders inside. Of course you cannot exceed the size you specified at creation time. If you unmount the disk image, only the corresponding file will remain. Double clicking the file will open a dialog asking for the password you used to lock it. Giving the password unlocks the disk image that mounts on the desktop and all the files are again accessible. Take care to not forget this password or your files will be lost forever. It is the same advice that applies to Filevault users too.

128-bit protection through encrypted disk images or Filevault is the ultimate, and perhaps the only, protection you can have against even the most drastic attack, which is local physical access to the hard drive.

Yes, good hint. But make sure you don't add the

password to the "keychain.app". Make sure you uncheck

this option. Otherwise you bypass the password dialog.

and the Image is wide open.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

But make sure you don't add the

password to the "keychain.app". Make sure you uncheck

this option. Otherwise you bypass the password dialog.

and the Image is wide open.

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. It is generally advisable to not store any important password in the Keychain. In the case where the login and the keychain passwords are the same, this, otherwise very convenient, way to manage passwords can become the source of trouble in what concerns security.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. It is generally advisable to not store any important password in the Keychain. In the case where the login and the keychain passwords are the same, this, otherwise very convenient, way to manage passwords can become the source of trouble in what concerns security.

most secure password management - your head...if, like me, you remember your passcodes (come on, who still uses WORDS?) then you have the best security
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bastionbastion Posts: 16member
    Thanks for your quick reply, particularly to Vox Barbara. I found your answers to my queries to be clear and concise and just what I was looking for. I didn't think I had anything to worry about with malware and your description of just what filevault does and what the home folder entails has put things clear in my mind. Of course you are right about breakdowns and repairs - I've even used the same arguement myself in the past. I think it was just a case of cold feet with regards to the purchase as it seems quite close now. I was reading a thread about the iBook's and it just seemed to lead into a huge advert for Applecare as each poster added to their repair woes. I thought it might be nice, not just for me, but maybe for other people on the verge of buying a Mac for the first time to see if there were indeed long term Mac users who had never experienced problems. Thank you kindly. Much appreciated.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Well, I've only had my iBook for 11 months, but I haven't had any problems. I've also had an iPod 3G for 15 months, no problem. That one had AppleCare, and now its my Dad's. I bought a new 4G 20gb in August (so 9 months old), don;t have AppleCare, and haven't had any problems. My Windows friends have more problems on their laptops than me.

To protect your data, it is also good to have a firewall. I have the standard Mac OS X one truned on, which blocks most ports except ones you specify (for file sharing, for example), and ones for basic internet and email. If you wnat something better, there are plenty of solutions, just look around, go to your local Apple store and ask, or go to Apple.com and look at the software. Good place to find software, then go to the manufactures website for more info.

No, you can't log in from a flash drive. 10.3 Panther was supposed to have a feature that allowed you to carry your Home folder on yout iPod and log onto it on any computer. It was scrapped and has never reappeared again.

Back to the original post:

Since Mac OS doesn't have a Start Menu, think of the Dock and Applications folder as the start menu. You'll notice that most prgrams are just a single icon, which makes it easier to keep them together and neater than Windows Program Files. If you right-click (ctrl-click) an Apps icon, Like iTunes, and click Show Package Contents, you will see what is inside it. The iTunes icon is actually iTunes.app (i think) and stores all taht infor, but it easy to run the program b/c it is all selfcontained. Most programs only take dragging the icon, which is actually a folder in disguise, into your Applications folder. If you haven't tried it, hit F9, F10, and F11. Expose, especially F11, is I think the most intuitive feature of mac OS X, and the one I miss the most when using Windows. Also, what exactly do yuo descripe as 'intuitive'? Might help us better undertsand what your issues are.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    As mentioned before, file vault encrypts YOUR home directory with 128-bit encryption. If someone takes the OS X boot CD and knows how to reset the administrator password, then they can get into your machine -- however -- they can not get into your encrypted home directory because it will appear as a single file and can not be opened without the approriate password. Again, this is an extreme case where someone has physical access to your machine.

Now, lets say you have 2 or 3 gigs of music, you don't consider that "confidential" or "sensitive" and you see no reason to include that when you encrypt your home directory. What you can do is to change the location of your iTunes library to the Shared/Music folder and place all your music there. This way you can still access it but it is not physically inside your home directory.

Personally, I've been using file vault on my Titanium Powerbook (G4-400) and it has been working flawlessly. I've been so happy with it that I've now encrypted my home directory on my desktop computer as well.

Again, as mentioned before, you can use Disk Utility to create any sized encrypted disk image and that image will be protected with 128-bit encryption. For example, I have a separate "Projects" folder that does not reside in my home directory by contains confidential and sensitive data that I need to access from my laptop. What I did was to create a 2 gig encrypted disk image, double-clicked on it to mount it, then copied all my directories into it. If my laptop is lost or stolen, I can be confident that it is highly unlikely that anyone would get to my data. Most likely, when they get done poking around, they will delete the stuff they can't get into and then use the computer for themselves.

Regarding Finder, if you single-click on the desktop then pull down the menu that says Finder, and click Preferences, you can choose what items show on your desktop by default. Another thing you can do is if you click on your harddrive icon on your desktop and drag it to the right-side of the dock, it will place a copy in the dock. When you click and hold on the icon on the dock, a flyout menu shows that allows you to fully navigate your drive.

OS X gives you many ways to accomplish the same task and allows you to customize it to your liking. Yes, it is different from Windows, but once you get used to it, its becomes just as frustrating to sit down and use a Windows machine again.

Regarding spyware, etc, refer to this article from April 5, 2005

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/features/i...FeatureID=1239
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

Another thing you can do is if you click on your harddrive icon on your desktop and drag it to the right-side of the dock, it will place a copy in the dock. When you click and hold on the icon on the dock, a flyout menu shows that allows you to fully navigate your drive.

Nice, but then you have to navigate through

a whole lot hierarchical menus. Better to drag the, say,

folders you actually need quick access to to the dock.

If you need access to the Application folder, drag the folder

to the dock etc pp.

Quote:

Originally posted by pubguy

OS X gives you many ways to accomplish the same task and allows you to customize it to your liking. Yes, it is different from Windows, but once you get used to it, its becomes just as frustrating to sit down and use a Windows machine again.

This is very true

Now, though, one can debate that the opposite is true too.

But, frankly, i never met a Windows guy who actually missed

Windows badly when he was working with the Mac OS.