Pages cannot handle pamphlets?

resres
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is Pages incapable of laying out and printing a simple 8.5" x 5.5" pamphlet?

All I want to do is create and print an 8 page 8.5" x 5.5" pamphlet, using 4 8.8 x 11 double sided sheets of paper folded in the middle. I can't find a way to do that in Pages -- Am I missing somthing or do I need to use another program?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Pages also doesn't quite "get" normal line spacing... it's version of single space looks like double spaced.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It's looking like Pages is a little too "cute" for day to day work. I think I'll enjoy it but I'm still hoping for a biz level suite from Apple what would focus on the bread n butter task needed.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    This should be very doable in Pages, I should think...

Just click in the margin to shift away focus from the default, linear type-as-you-go model and drop in a text box (Insert > Text).

You can flow text by clicking on the little blue handle that appears on text boxes w/ overflow (plus signs). And of course drag text boxes around to make a pamphlet or what you wish to your heart's content.

Pretty crude -- it's not a tenth of Indesign -- but I'd imagine it works well enough for fairly simple purposes.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Pages also doesn't quite "get" normal line spacing... it's version of single space looks like double spaced.

I had this trouble with the last document I started. If you select all and select the "blank" template (yes, I know that is where you probably started), it will go back to the single spacing you expect.

Incidentally, the mode in which the single space looks like double space will go to single space mode within a paragraph.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Hell, I am still trying to figure out how to label the Y-axis with a simple bar graph...Pages has been a let down. What I typically do is use Word for the content creation, then use Pages to add drop shadows and images. It is more of a plug-in to Word for me than anything.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    resres Posts: 711member
    To make my 12 page pamphlet I had to export it as a pdf then use Booklightning to format it into the correct layout for printing.

I hope that they add imposition features to a future version of Pages.