Ssh Os X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just had a potential convertee ask me the following...

"In linux, when I login via ssh I can access everything, from my chat client, and mp3 player, to server related services via a text based ssh console. Is this the same on Mac?"

What do I tell him?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I just had a potential convertee ask me the following...

"In linux, when I login via ssh I can access everything, from my chat client, and mp3 player, to server related services via a text based ssh console. Is this the same on Mac?"

What do I tell him?

He can access anything that the user he is logging in as could access. Root is disabled on OS X by default, so he can't log in as root unless he goes to the machine and enables it, but he can use sudo as an admin to do root stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The biggest different is that the linux box is likely running an X windows server and therefore he can remotely run even graphical programs. Though there are similar tools for X native apps (Timbucktu, Apple Remote Desktop), it's not compatible with an X windows server.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

The biggest different is that the linux box is likely running an X windows server and therefore he can remotely run even graphical programs.

Bzzzzt! That is not a "difference". The Apple X11 server can forward X programs exactly the same, it just needs a change of settings. The difference is that neither OS X or Linux (duh!) can forward Quartz apps to a remote computer.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Completely irrelevant to the question.

Does anyone remember the -NXHost 1.2.3.4 qualifier on OpenStep.

You could start an app from any machine on any machine.

Not that it was useful mind you.

dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You can still open the programs remotely by typing 'open <app>'. Only problem is that it launches on the remote machine. It could be rather alarming to see a raft of programs suddenly opening on your local system from someone logged in as you remotely