Hard Disk Update 1.0

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
...in Software Update. What in the hell is this all about??? Did you read that disclaimer!?

For those who didn't:

The Hard Disk Update improves the longevity of some hard drives. Your drives may or may not need to have firmware updated; installing and running this update will tell you if updating is required.

IMPORTANT - - It is strongly recommended that you back up the data on your hard drives to an external drive or removable media before running this update. If an error should occur during the install process, your hard drives may become unusable. In that case, all data on the drives could be lost.

Note: When installation is complete, Hard Drive Update 1 should launch automatically. If the update does not launch automatically, please launch it manually:

/Applications/Utilities/Hard Drive Update 1

The bolding is not my emphasis but Apple's (or whoever put this out - it almost seems like a damn virus to me!).

I guess I have lived in a paranoid Windows world too long at work. I tend to ignore things like this. But, Apple did make changes to ensure that Software Update was secure. This just seems to be worded very strangely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Well just don't install it. If it's a legit update, someone will chime in very soon, if not, you'll hear about that too.

No worries, no fuss.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not seeing it in SU here...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    However strangely worded as it was, it seemed harmless on my system - dual G4/533. Not needed, or so it told me. I added in an 80GB Seagate to the stock 40GB drive.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

However strangely worded as it was, it seemed harmless on my system - dual G4/533. Not needed, or so it told me. I added in an 80GB Seagate to the stock 40GB drive.

That update is a very old update (06/25/2003) only appearing on some machines.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Yep. That's an old update. That update only shows up for digital audio PowerMac G4s. And it only installs if you have an affected hard drive. Apparently some OEM drives had reliability problems.

You must have recently reinstalled OS X.