The strategy in iApps.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Steve Jobs said in early 2000 that the vision of Apple Computer was to enter the age of the digital lifestyle where the PC becomes the hub of your digital life. He said that the Apple iApps would add tremendous value to the digital devices out there and that the PC would be the missing link between the two. At the point of the digital hub strategy embracement Apple looked like this:

iMovie

iTunes

iDVD

Jobs said that Apple realized that the iApps were important after the success of iMovie. Once Apple realized what the possibilities could be and that Apple could manipulate this strategy really well because they controll both software and hardware, they decided to do iDevices. Jobs said that these iApps are really nice and that the third party devices are pretty good but that the third party devices did not know how to take advantage of the full pontential of the iApps. Once Apple realized that the solution was to make their own iDevices the digital hub could be fully manipulated directly by themselves and they would not have to wait for 3rd parties to make a good product (if ever). The iDevice offering currently looks like this:

iMovie

iTunes-iPod

iDVD

The MWSF expo should unveil a new iApp for consumer picture editing, most likely being called iPhoto. Apple will most likely release new idevices too.

Drawing a conclusoin from all of this we can expect new Hubs or Mac speed bumps..etc..whatever.

What we really want is new iApps and iDevices to take advantage of these Hubs (a good iApp makes selling a PC a hundred times easier than a 100 mhz speed bump).

My total BS and speculation.

iMovie-iPlayer (portable hard drive based editing station and dv camera with hook up to tv for large viewing area.)

iTunes-iPod

iDVD-iPlayer coinsides with iPlayer.

iNewton or iWalk- PDA like functionality with a "knowledge" of iApps. Acts as a organizer for all iApp and iDevice information.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I'm not trying to flame you, but why would you use your "iPlayer" instead of your mac to edit and display movies? I edit movies on my Mac, and if i want to watch them on my TV, i can just export them back to the camera, and hook it up that way. Why would I pay apple some insane amount of money to do what i already can for free now?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    iPlayer is a DV camera with the right ports to display images and movies on anything anywhere.

Just an idea.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Stop worrying about specifics and think about the general idea Macintosh is getting at. iApps+iDevices=WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Funny how a bunch of people made new threads all at once about the same thing...

-Paul

P.S. (hehehe flood control)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    iWow. Apple has the upperhand in the "Golden Age Of The Digital Hub." The equation is quite simple,

Operating system based on the hub idea (OS X)

plus

Hardware meant to run the OS really well and have ports made for the iDevices

plus

iApps meant for the the ports on the hardware.

plus

iDevices meant to take advantage of ALL OF THIS.

EQUALS

Apple Computer.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>

Hardware meant to run the OS really well and have ports made for the iDevice.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That might be the sticking point!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    from another post

-----------------

In reference to the digitalhub vs. clock speeds...

Does your average Graphic designer, 3d Animator, Video Editor, Musician, DTP'er, Scientist, Game Player etc etc give a toss whether this stuff connects nicely together (obviously to a point), or do they want stuff that helps them work more profitably, efficiently and productively.

Apple can make a million cool gizmos that connect in a billiion ways, but if they don't address the problem that people can work faster and cheaper on x86, then a bunch of geeky school kids isn't going to save them.

Walk into any of the businesses above. You don't see a bunch of guys and girls sitting around watching iTunes Visuals, downloading MP3 to their iPOD, marvelling over their 14.1" LCD screen, HeLL no their banging their fists on the table waiting for their computers to finish tasks to meet the ever closing deadlines.

Apple needs to seriously choose between having cool home appliances or screaming fast business solutions

Preferably BOTH

NOW I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE ALL SAYING

but

Apple will loose their core market if they don't address the clock speed issue.

No one in business in their right mind is going to buy a Mac if x86 makes them 3times more profitable, productive and efficient. And Im not talking exclusively about Clock speeds.

I like Digital Hub theory. But a load of 15 year old kids and thier dorky mums are not going to expand Apple Computer. Apple needs competitive systems for them, AND the rest of us who *have* to do some PAID work from time to time.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Good point Marc, but Apple is tring to appeal to the CONSUMER and that means useability.

Sure, the pros need speed. But for the most part, that is out of apple's hands, they use whatever Moto and IBM give them.

They are trying to expand their market share and the way they are doing this is targetting the consumer market....

-Paul

Edit: Typo, there are more, but I didnt like this one.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 13
    so what you're saying then is that reluctantly I should switch to x86 because Apple cannot provide competitive tools for working pros. Sad.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    They are competitive, your are just gay, got buy a PC.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>so what you're saying then is that reluctantly I should switch to x86 because Apple cannot provide competitive tools for working pros. Sad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What you do is your business, if you feel you will be better served by the x86 crowd, then thats where you should be.

-Paul
  • Reply 11 of 13
    BUMP
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

What you do is your business, if you feel you will be better served by the x86 crowd, then thats where you should be.

-Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll second that emotion, Mr. Robinson!

SdC
  • Reply 13 of 13
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

They are competitive, your are just gay, got buy a PC.<hr></blockquote>

That was uncalled for, there was no need to say that.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: David R ]</p>