Bad Display Res Scaling on G52GHz/9600

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anyone else have this? I've searched all over the web and I seem to be the only one.

When putting my display (either one) to anything other than native 1280x1024, it looks completely blocky or more like thick lines which are kind of offset. I can still see my desktop, but it's like looking at it through ridged glass.

I am running two DVI displays (one with an ADC-DVI adapter) off my Radeon 9600 64MB card, in a Dual G5 2GHz, rev A. I also have a Blackmagic Decklink Extreme Card, which runs a 3rd desktop at 720x480. However, I first noticed it before I had that card.

It is most obvious when trying to play games, which of course switch the res. It happened with Halo and I didn't try another game until recently with Doom 3. Same problem. It's not a huge problem but still unnerving.

Is this a bad video card? A bad ADC-DVI adapter? Or worse?

THX

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I suppose it depends on just how "bad" it really is.

LCD displays CANNOT give a perfect image in their non-native resolution. CRT's scale nicely because they are an analog display. For LCD's the machine has to actually try to reconfigure the "image" to make it fit a non-native size.

If you try to go from 1280x1024 down to ...say... 800x600, it WILL look pixelated... nothing to do about it. It's generally not such a big deal in games as the "motion blur" tends to keep you from noticing it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

LCD displays CANNOT give a perfect image in their non-native resolution. CRT's scale nicely because they are an analog display.

Yeah I know -- this problem is hard to explain -- but that's not it. All my computers have LCD monitors and the others look 'blocky' or 'soft' at lower resolutions that's fine. I'm talking about a serious breaking up of the picture so that you really can barely make anything out on the screen. All the colors are right, but the geometry has been badly broken up in to thick bands that are out of alignment with each other. It's as if one cut the image in to horizontal strips and kind of moved them around.

Also, OpenGL comp preview in applications like AfterEffects 6.5, displays really poor scaling, with edges that look very jagged and zig-zaggy in a similar way. It seems clear that its the graphics card, I just can't understand why it would seem to work alright in every other way.