tax in the US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I am thinking of flying to the USA.

How big is the sales tax on computers etc. in the different states?

I think these three have

NY has 8.63%

Texas 8%

Massachusetts 5%

what's the amount in the other US-states?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
  • Reply 2 of 15
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Thanks Scott
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    do tourists get the sales tax refunded at the airport or something? you can do this in australia with the 10% sales tax and i think VAT in UK and Europe...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Hi,

I am thinking of flying to the USA.

How big is the sales tax on computers etc. in the different states?

I think these three have

NY has 8.63%

Texas 8%

Massachusetts 5%

what's the amount in the other US-states?

i looked up scott's table link and correlated with official AppleStores:

East Coast USA

New Hampshire (NO sales tax!)

http://www.apple.com/retail/rockinghampark/

West Coast USA

Oregon (NO sales tax!)

http://www.apple.com/retail/washingtonsquare

cool. so depending on where you are flying in from, you may choose WestCoast or EastCoast

this gives me an idea of AppleStore shopping tours or some stuff like that... a lot of stores to cover...!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

do tourists get the sales tax refunded at the airport or something? you can do this in australia with the 10% sales tax and i think VAT in UK and Europe...

from this site:

http://www.usatourist.com/english/ma...hive/0903.html

Question: Is there a way that I can get back the tax when I shop in the USA?

Answer: Sorry, that is not something that most states do, and each state in the USA has a different rate of sales tax. Louisiana has some shops displaying a "tax free for International Visitors" sticker and you can get tax refunds when you shop in them. Delaware has no sales tax. Compared to prices elsewhere in the world shopping in the USA is not very expensive.

edit: sunilraman says: of course, this last sentence only applies if your home currency is actually close to US dollars... europeans and australians are among those that can rejoice..!

Question: Is prostitution legal in Las Vegas?

Answer: No it is not. Prostitution is legal in some other counties in Nevada but it is not legal in Las Vegas. It is always a good idea to follow local laws when you travel. It is best to avoid prostitutes in Las Vegas. They are not operating legally.

Question: Is it true that there are still some bars in New York City where I can smoke?

Answer: As of right now you cannot smoke in any New York City bars. Some places that offer outdoor seating have part of that outdoor seating designated as a smoking section. There are rumors of "special secret smoking bars" but they seem to be just that - rumors.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

i looked up scott's table link and correlated with official AppleStores:

East Coast USA

New Hampshire (NO sales tax!)

http://www.apple.com/retail/rockinghampark/

West Coast USA

Oregon (NO sales tax!)

http://www.apple.com/retail/washingtonsquare

cool. so depending on where you are flying in from, you may choose WestCoast or EastCoast

this gives me an idea of AppleStore shopping tours or some stuff like that... a lot of stores to cover...!

You forgott

Newark, Delaware

It's gonna be the east coast for me, haven't decided yet which City/Region
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

You forgott

Newark, Delaware

It's gonna be the east coast for me, haven't decided yet which City/Region

yeah, but Delaware? dude i'd rather check out the lovely rugged Pacific coastline of Oregon or the beautiful New England region and 'quaint' New Hampshire

but i'm plain biased, i haven't been to Delaware.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

yeah, but Delaware? dude i'd rather check out the lovely rugged Pacific coastline of Oregon or the beautiful New England region and 'quaint' New Hampshire

but i'm plain biased, i haven't been to Delaware.

I just checked the ticket price. I could get to Philadelphia or Washington DC for 266 / 280 ?. Flying to Boston would cost far more.

EDIT:

Decided to fly to Washington DC
  • Reply 9 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    That must mean you are going to Dulles. If you have time check out the air and space museum which is right there.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I will definatly do that, visit the White House, Pentagon, FBI Headquarters, Lincoln memorial, Washington monument, and the westfield montgomery shoppingtown. Any other recomendations (restaurant/bar)?

Will stay there for from April 24 - May 3.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

I will definatly do that, visit the White House, Pentagon, FBI Headquarters, Lincoln memorial, Washington monument, and the westfield montgomery shoppingtown. Any other recomendations (restaurant/bar)?

Will stay there for from April 24 - May 3.

If you like trying different kinds of beer, go to the Brickskeller in Dupont Circle. It is generally regarded as one of the best enthusiast-type bars in the USA. No gimmicks except for the coolers with more than 1000 different kinds of beer.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    There's also local option sales tax in some counties. You won't know if there is one until you pay at the store.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Why do they display the netto price and not the price with all the taxes included at the stores?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Why do they display the netto price and not the price with all the taxes included at the stores?

Your guess is as good as mine.