PDF pen vs Acrobat

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I really want to be able to simple fill out PDF forms. I mean stuff like apps and things like that where i can create a text box or something like that. I think PDF pen is the type of software that i am looking for but i would rather have Acrobat.

With student prices they are about the same price but i think acrobat has other good features. Of course, if it can't do that type of stuff like filling out documents, then the other features are useless to me.

Thanks for any/all the help

EDIT: What do people also just think of PDF pen in general

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I really want to be able to simple fill out PDF forms. I mean stuff like apps and things like that where i can create a text box or something like that. I think PDF pen is the type of software that i am looking for but i would rather have Acrobat.

With student prices they are about the same price but i think acrobat has other good features. Of course, if it can't do that type of stuff like filling out documents, then the other features are useless to me.

Thanks for any/all the help

EDIT: What do people also just think of PDF pen in general

I don't think acrobat for Mac has the PDF maker. However, you could make the form in any app and click print and then save as PDF. You don;t need to buy anything.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    The (free) acrobat reader on the Mac can fill out PDF forms, but you need either Acrobat (the writer) or Illustrator or something like PDFpenPro to create forms.

So far I have been under-impressed by PDFpenPro. They don't have contextual menus and the inspector is just not up to the task. And a PDF form creator that does not do calculations/formulas... no... that is half the point.

I have been trying to convince the OmniGroup guys to put form elements into OmniGraffle, as it already produces great PDF's. So far I have not gotten any response, we will have to wait and see what is on the plate for OG 4. Imagine being able to create forms with OG's great layout setup... Actually OG is not all that far from being a Illustrator competitor in a lot of ways.

MacOS X 10.4 will probably bring a raft of new applications in this area as Apple will be introducing PDFKit, a framework for working with PDF's. I have seen nothing about it but the brief mention on the Tiger preview page, so it all depends on what that supports out of the box, but there is the potential for a lot of fun there.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I want to fill out forms that do not have the PDF file made for that. I mean like if someone were to make a form with word and use the OS X "save as PDF", i would wanto be be able to fill out that from