photoshop cs2 ram question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Could anyone tell me if it is or is not true that photoshop CS 2 will allow more then 2GB ram access on the G5's? Reason I ask is, I now see on the article from: maccentral

at the bottom is says: More additions: High-capacity RAM compatibility allows Photoshop CS 2?s Power Mac G5 users to devote more than 2GB of RAM to the program.

So now I am real confused as this was the initial reason I was not going to upgrade. But with a G5 loaded with ram, this would make the upgrade all worth while for myself.

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    yup, it says that on the maccentral article. but the adobe website for photoshop cs2 somehow doesnt mention it in the full list of new features, so i am not sure at this stage where maccentral got their info

you could download the tryout and see if it has options for somehow assigning >2GB RAM to photoshop (preferences>memory and cache) or something like that

say if you had a g5 with 4GB of RAM

lets say you had 1gig for system,

for some reason photoshop-cs2 you assign a maximum of 2GB to it.

a 'dirty hack' would be then to use

http://www.clarkwood.com/rambunctious/

to create a 1GB Ram Disk and then assign photoshop to this RamDisk as a Scratch disk

...theoretically you have 3GB of RAM assigned to photoshop and 1GB to the rest of the system and apps

so even if there is a 2GB limit on photoshopCS2 (should the maccentral article prove inaccurate) i think you just might have a workaround to make the most of your 4GB++ G5 *wipes drool off face*
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

or 4.5GB
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

or 4.5GB

sw33t. download the tryout of photoshopCS2 and tell us how it goes...!!

under preferences>memory>

enter "shitloads, suckas"

*shakes fist while wiping drool off* you bastard..!! 4.5GB of ram..!!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

yup, it says that on the maccentral article. but the adobe website for photoshop cs2 somehow doesnt mention it in the full list of new features, so i am not sure at this stage where maccentral got their info

you could download the tryout and see if it has options for somehow assigning >2GB RAM to photoshop (preferences>memory and cache) or something like that

lets say you had 1gig for system,

for some reason photoshop-cs2 you assign a maximum of 2GB to it.

a 'dirty hack' would be then to use

http://www.clarkwood.com/rambunctious/

to create a 1GB Ram Disk and then assign photoshop to this RamDisk as a Scratch disk

...theoretically you have 3GB of RAM assigned to photoshop and 1GB to the rest of the system and apps

so even if there is a 2GB limit on photoshopCS2 (should the maccentral article prove inaccurate) i think you just might have a workaround to make the most of your 4GB++ G5 *wipes drool off face*

That is what I have been doing for about a year now. I have 4GB in the G5 and I make a ram disk of 2100000 with it and designate it as the main scratch disk for photoshop. That works fine, but its a pain that everytime the G5 boots up, I have to rememebr to go to the ram disk and set it up, I wish it would do it all automatically when the G5 starts up.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Ram is pretty cheap right now here so thats why I want to know, then I can max out the G5 and then really enjoy photoshop.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Ram is pretty cheap right now here so thats why I want to know, then I can max out the G5 and then really enjoy photoshop.

um... so you gonna download the tryout of photoshop CS2? that would be the best way IMHO to test the >2GB thing if it exists, and see if other features are worth the upgrade and you adding more ram to your 4GB beast.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

whats the link for the tryout?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    here it is, ya lazy bums

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp#product=39

ahh bugger... they only have PhotshopCS not CS2 on the tryout site
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Installed photoshop CS2 and the program only allows somehting like 3100 MB to be allocated to the application. Not the 4GB barrier people have been talking about. All and all it's much slower then CS. I think it's due to this bridge program. Takes for ever for the photos to load and crashes often even on the mac.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

ahh bugger... they only have PhotshopCS not CS2 on the tryout site

Really? I'm pretty sure I downloaded the CS2 version from the Adobe site... http://www.adobe.com/products/tryado...jsp?ftpID=2725