Screen snapshot (Grab)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

I hope this is a simple question.

Do the Grab (screen snapshot) key-combination commands (Command-Z and Shift-Command-A) only work when the Grab utility is actually running?

If so, how come I hear the alert sound when I press the keys, or is it just telling me that I've pressed a wrong combination?

Also if so, why would anyone choose to use Grab when you can stick with the good old universal Command-Shift-3/Command-Shift-4 combinations? There must be some advantage(s), but at this point (and after consulting a heap of manuals) I'm blowed if I can see any.

PS - I'm running an iBook on OS X.1.2.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Alan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Command Z is undo. Shift command A varies but the only time I use it is to "select all".

I think you have the commands wrong. stick with command shift 3/4.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the suggestion, and it would explain why nothing happens when I try those key combos from outside the Grab program. I got my information on them from The Robin Williams Mac OS Book, which says (quote):

"To use Grab:...

2. To capture the entire screen, press Command Z.

To capture a selected portion of the screen, press Command Shift A."

However, I certainly take your point about using the old key combinations.

Thanks again.

Alan
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Grab must be running for Command-Z and Command-Shift-A to capture the screen. Command-Z gets the whole screen and the other a section that you drag over. There are also timed screen Command-Shift-Z and Window Command-Shift-W options.

Grab brings the captured portion to the front and allows you to print it or save it where you wish, with a precise name and location rather than the generic Picture# on the desktop that you get with Command-Shift 3/4. There is also an inspector that gives size and bit-depth.

The advantages are mostly organizational.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thank you - that answers all my questions perfectly.

Alan