Buy now or wait?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm considering my first mac. Looking at an imac. Not sure witch one. With Tiger comming and most likly new models shortly after I would like some feedback on witch to buy and should I wait for one or both of these events. In the meantime I'm still stuck with an old pc.

Regards

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    There will always be something newer or better. I buy when I can and then don't look at flyers or sites like this for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Wait about 10months after the new G5s are announced so you can get revision 2 where all the hardware errors are fixed.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    At this point it seems likely that Tiger will be announced within 3 or 4 weeks. I would wait till Tiger is announced at which point you should at least get a certificate for Tiger when you buy a new machine. That is probably worth $129.

I think Apple has a short time after purchase in which it allows you to cancel an order or return product. Perhaps someone else can fill in that detail.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    evilcat,

I normally think it is good to buy and enjoy, but Tiger is very close, and new iMacs may be close too. In this case, I would wait. At least until Tiger comes out, and maybe there will be new iMacs then too.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    evilcatevilcat Posts: 8member
    Thanks for the input. I know there will allways be newer products but it would be nice to be current for a little while.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    crccrc Posts: 8member
    I wish I could share your enthusiasm...

I ordered my Mini Mac 3 weeks ago, and got an email a few days ago saying I'm going to have to wait at least another 4 weeks.

I think it's a really crappy move by Apple to not have their own products available for 7 weeks after an order has been lodged.

I'm in a good mind to cancel the order, because if they can't even fulfil people who want to buy their products in a reasonable timeframe, then that says a lot about the company as a whole....