Mac Design Magazine is now Layers Mag

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.layersmagazine.com/

Quote:

Welcome to Layers , The How-To Magazine for Everything Adobe (formerly Mac Design Magazine). Now, based on that last sentence, you probably have a lot of questions, so I thought I?d cut to the chase and do a quick Q&A right off the bat. Ready?

I've added emphasis. I knew Kelby was an Adobe fan but sheesh do I really need to pay $24 a year for a glorified Adobe advertisement? Guess so.

Quote:

The magazine has grown, changed, and evolved so much over the past few years that the word ?design? doesn?t really explain all that we are anymore. If you?ve read us for any length time, you know we?re also a magazine for digital photographers, with digital photography news, tips, tutorials, and camera and printer reviews in every issue. Plus, from the very beginning, we?ve been the only Mac magazine to have an entire section dedicated to digital video editing. But we found that most photographers and video editors didn?t really know that because they don?t generally reach for a magazine that has the word ?Design? in big letters on the cover.

And "Layers" is going to be better?

But know you're just focusing on Adobe software?

Quote:

Adobe products are at the core of nearly every professional designer?s, photographer?s, and video editor?s workflow, and we wanted to create a magazine that pros would have an instant connection with. We were already pretty much doing that in Mac Design (you just might not have noticed). In fact, in any given issue of Mac Design there were only two articles that weren?t already on Adobe products?our Final Cut Pro column, and our Dreamweaver column, both of which will now appear on the Mac Design website (www.macdesignonline.com) instead.

Are you still going to cover Apple stuff?

Quote:

Absolutely. Anything Apple does for the creative community will be covered here in Layers in a big, big way (hey, we?re Mac guys?what can I say), but it doesn?t end with just covering Apple. We?re not owned, funded, or underwritten by Adobe?we?re still a completely independent magazine, so we?ll still cover everything that happens in the ?creative space,? and we?ll continue to provide some of the industry?s most trusted product reviews, outspoken commentary, and in-depth feature articles on any product that our readers want to know about, no matter who makes it.

I'm sure you're well funded with Adobe advertising dollars. I'm sure we'll see a focus on promoting Adobe on Intel. My gut instincts are telling me Kelby sold out in a big way. But I'll revisit this after reading the first half year of magazines and see how things go.

Not really a big deal though. I think design apps are frankly pretty stagnant. I see so many people still using PS 6 and Quark 4 and realize that mainly what's been added since then are creature comforts but not necessarily things that affect the bottom line significantly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Does Adobe Magazine still exist? I don't think it ever took off, but by its existence alone Adobe made public the idea that they want their own magazine. I guess this is what came of that idea.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Are they still going to charge $125 per issue...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Kelby isn't just a fan, he's worked for Adobe and is basically an evangelist for them. I don't know if he's being paid or anything, but that's always been his position from what I could tell. I've never really seen him as a neutral party or anything. You're right about the move to a Windows focus in the magazine. The Kelby books on Adobe products have been going in that direction for a while now.

Yesterday, I was at this "CAD Camp" put on by an AutoCAD user group and I realized that most of the presenters weren't just experts on AutoCAD, they were often employees, albeit not programmers. They were essentially in the same position as a Scott Kelby with Adobe or Guy Kawasaki with Apple back in the day. This doesn't seem uncommon, though I find the setup a bit -- what? -- misleading in some respects? In another way, there's nothing wrong with being a cheerleader if that's you're passion, so I would hesitate to assume that there's anything more nefarious going on. Still, if Scott Kelby gives CS2 a big thumbs up, how much does his opinion matte ron the subject? It's like MacWorld giving Apple hardware soft reviews.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm not sure what role this Kelby guy has in the magazine, but usually it takes more than some editor wanting to change the magazine to actually result in a change in the magazine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I don't have that much of a problem with Layers but I just think they're being a little disengenous about the reasons for pushing Quark and Macromedia to website only coverage.

Adobe is great an all but right now Design is just stagnant as far as excitement overall. I fondly remember the days of Xres, Live Picture and Photoshop all duking it out and then everyone died and so did any real excitement in the market.