Did II do the right thing?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought a 17" Powerbook last week. I sat watching pictures of it for months before buying, it looks the biz. I was going to buy IBM T42 instead, but I wanted to have something different. Now though, I have a twinge of regret that i didnt buy a laptop. Why? I'm scared HAA, i never had a mac before, and i'm still learning. Someone tell me that I spent £2,000 well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hit shift-F9 a million times real fast.

Now see.... wasn't it worth it?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Hit shift-F9 a million times real fast.

Now see.... wasn't it worth it?

Learnt something new today. Didn't know that expose commands queue up like that. Rather silly actually. It really should detect that an animation is already currently running and reverse that one.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nimbitt

I bought a 17" Powerbook last week. I sat watching pictures of it for months before buying, it looks the biz. I was going to buy IBM T42 instead, but I wanted to have something different. Now though, I have a twinge of regret that i didnt buy a laptop. Why? I'm scared HAA, i never had a mac before, and i'm still learning. Someone tell me that I spent £2,000 well?

That is a very exciting notebook you purchased. You should be thrilled. If you want, pick up the book "Missing Manual Panther." That isn't the exact title, but search for that on amazon, and you will find it.

Tiger is going to be here soon, although it will put you out a bit more, I hope you upgrade, when that happens.

In the meantime, what do you normally use your computer for? Have you tried doing your daily tasks? I'm sure with a little time you're going to be very happy you purchased your Powerbook. Do you take a lot of digital photos? If so, play with iPhoto. Do you have any digital video footage? If so, play with iMovie. Just get to know all the applications and the operating system, and have fun! That missing manual book might be of interest. When I came back to macs, I read it, while I waited on my iBook to arrive.

One more thing, if you want to experience the full speed of your Powerbook, go to the "energy saver settings" (you can get there buy click the battery icon in the upper right hand corner and selecting "energy saver." Select the highest setting.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    you spent your £2000 well.

at least you didn't trash it like 90% of the market by buying a wintelbox.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Sounds like I was worrying for nothing. I have several PC's that I use for code work, web design, graphics and such. I was told that someone who does what i do should have a mac as its a dedicated bit of kit, what scared me was the lack of Applications that came with it, not like a pc where you gt so many you end up erasing alot of them, this however, is a sexy metal box thts begging me to fill it, i like the idea of complete control over whart goes into it. <<Excited>> I am about to purchase loads of software and no doubt will be in heaven when its done. Roll on the end of the working day so i can get started.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Sounds like I was worrying for nothing. I have several PC's that I use for code work, web design, graphics and such. I was told that someone who does what i do should have a mac as its a dedicated bit of kit, what scared me was the lack of Applications that came with it, not like a pc where you gt so many you end up erasing alot of them, this however, is a sexy metal box thts begging me to fill it, i like the idea of complete control over whart goes into it. <<Excited>> I am about to purchase loads of software and no doubt will be in heaven when its done. Roll on the end of the working day so i can get started.

Exciting... maybe you tune in later again

and spill out some story.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Sounds like I was worrying for nothing.

Of course you was worrying for nothing. The 17" Powerbook is a very nice mobile computer. Congrats by the way for your purchase! I only wish I could have this Powerbook. And don't forget to load it with Tiger when it comes out, it will love the Altivec unit and the GPU there in .
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Nimbitt,

Do you own the Adobe Creative Suite, or any of the Adobe applications? If so, give them a call and tell them you've switched to Mac platform. They sent me the Mac version of CS, for only the shipping costs, for I had already bought it for Windows.

There are some applications included with your Powerbook. All of the iLife applications, plus a few others. You've looked in the Applications folder, correct? Open the finder (far left icon in your dock) and click Applications. You should also drag your Applications folder to the right side of your dock, so you can have easy access to it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Nimbitt,

Do you own the Adobe Creative Suite, or any of the Adobe applications? If so, give them a call and tell them you've switched to Mac platform. They sent me the Mac version of CS, for only the shipping costs, for I had already bought it for Windows.

Holy crap, that's amazing. Is that an official Adobe policy? I have CS for Win and have been regretting that I don't have it for my PowerBook.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Holy crap, that's amazing. Is that an official Adobe policy? I have CS for Win and have been regretting that I don't have it for my PowerBook.

You shouldn't have too much trouble having them send you the Mac copy. Although you will need to sign a letter and fax it, saying that you will destroy the Windows copy.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    telekontelekon Posts: 54member
    Quote:

You spent £2000 very well. Yes there are faster Windoze laptops available, but they're not as stable, you don't get as nuch software "out of the box", you don't have virus issues in emails and malicious webpages, you get a great OS and no matter what your Windoze "friends" may tell you, all "proper" software IS available on the Mac.

The only downside is in games, but my answer is always "get a PS2 or Xbox!" Enjoy!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nimbittnimbitt Posts: 6member
    Hi,

So far you have all wiped away my worries. I spent three hours last night putting my music into Ituens. Im over the moon. I bought loads of software inc Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, CS, Freehand ooooooh loads and loads. Mac rocks my world. Tiger may be a later purchase as i still have no idea about panther, but soon oooh so soon.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Wow. A great Powerbook, and amazing software. You've really got a special setup there. Enjoy it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    The IBM T42 is a great laptop. Let's face it there is better and faster hardware available for PC notebook computers but what is not available is an OS that is a pleasure to use like OS X, a PC notebook that is as nice looking as the Powerbooks, the software and hardware integration like the Powerbooks and the lack of viruses and spyware like the Powerbooks.

What the T42 has that the Powerbooks don't is a hard drive you can swap out in 2 minutes, much better battery life (5 hours+ with the 9 cell battery), the ultrabay for an additional hard drive or battery and customer service that is second to none (Apples is a close second though).

In the end the Powerbook was money well spent, you will enjoy it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

The IBM T42 is a great laptop. Let's face it there is better and faster hardware available for PC notebook computers but what is not available is an OS that is a pleasure to use like OS X, a PC notebook that is as nice looking as the Powerbooks, the software and hardware integration like the Powerbooks and the lack of viruses and spyware like the Powerbooks.

What the T42 has that the Powerbooks don't is a hard drive you can swap out in 2 minutes, much better battery life (5 hours+ with the 9 cell battery), the ultrabay for an additional hard drive or battery and customer service that is second to none (Apples is a close second though).

In the end the Powerbook was money well spent, you will enjoy it.

Good decision on the Powerbook. That being said the new IBM T43 is defiantly drool factor 10.

2.13 MHz Sonoma, 2mb L3 cache

4.5 pounds & one inch thick

15" TFT UXGA (1600 x 1200)

2GB of DDR2 533mhz Ram

ATI FireGL V3200 128mb Ram

60gb 7200 RPM HD

Biometric fingerprint scanner

5 - 6 hours of battery

I?m definitely spec whoreing over this baby!

Makes the Powerbook look kind of timid.