Please Apple let it "iDie"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles...demarks-icalc/

Ok the iMac was cute.

"The Internet enabled Macintosh computer"

The came iTools and iWork and so on. Ok it's 2005 there are ENOUGH iProducts Apple. It's old and tired. "Move the fek on!!"

Sheesh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    "i" is here forever.

iT's iMmediAtely associAted to Apple products. iT would be folly to abandon somethiNg as powerful as thiS.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple is pleased to announce the all new...Pod.

Apple is rumored to be working on a brand new...Book.

If they were going to end it, it'd take a while. It's synonymous with Apple now.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    With Tiger imminent, work has surely turned to the spreadsheet portion of iWork, which will use Core Data and be introduced no earlier than MWSF.

But they won't call it iCalc. That's for sure. Would sound odd next to Pages and Keynote.

So what this for? I have no idea.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles...demarks-icalc/

Ok the iMac was cute.

"The Internet enabled Macintosh computer"

The came iTools and iWork and so on. Ok it's 2005 there are ENOUGH iProducts Apple. It's old and tired. "Move the fek on!!"

Sheesh.

i agree that the "i" prefix has become tired, but mostly because every tom, dick and harry has slapped an "i" as a prefix onto their own application, web portal, hardware device, etc. if the "i" thing had remained under Apple's umbrella specifically, we wouldn't be so saturated with the reference to it now. at least they haven't gone completely batsh!t crazy and made things like "iFinder" and "iTrash" and such.

plus, as someone else pointed out in another thread where i brought this up, it DOES make trademarking a heck of a lot easier. for instance, it'd be nigh-impossible to trademark an application just called "Tunes," but they CAN trademark an app called "iTunes."
  • Reply 5 of 8
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    It's not so much the over use that bugs me, but the incorrect use. Surely the 'i' is still short for internet? So what's with 'iDVD'?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    They didn't call them iMinis.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    How come everything the Coca-Cola Company puts out needs to have the word "coke" in it? I mean, COME ON! There isn't even cocaine in it! It's defiantly time for a new naming scheme. I am so sick of Diet Coke, Vanilla Coke, Caffeine-free Coke, Cherry Coke.. it's just getting ridiculous! They should really re-brand their entire product line to some more edgy, unique, and identifiable. I suggest the "Sucrose" line of soft-drinks. Then customers know what they are really getting. Look for "Cherry Sucrose" this summer.

Bottom line: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I'm surprised that they didn't sue over iDrive. When I first heard about it I wondered whether Apple had a hand in designing it. When I read the reviews, I knew they couldn't