My new 17" imac FANTASTIC!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I received my new imac last monday: (My first mac)

Superdrive: IS A SONY DW-U10A and I think it supports DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW today I will test

Screen: BIG BIG BIG I love it

iMovie 3.0.1: Little bugs, in a project I lost a 30min work but no problem

Speed: I tested a new P4 3.0Ghz with 512Mb DDR333 WXP ATI 9000 128Mb and my new imac go faster REALLY! in everything except games (if you want games buy a PS2) the only think is that i will upgrade the memory from 256Mb

Safari: It loads web pages faster than IE and works well

More test coming... HAPPY

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Welcome to the world of Mac!

Glad to hear you're happy with your new iMac

I wasn't aware that Apple were using a Sony unit in the new iMacs, get bact to us about DVD-RW support.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Congrats. My 17" Superdirve iMac is "Out For Delivery" and should arrive about 4:30 PM. It's gonna be a long day!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Cool. Welcome to the world of Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by ackmanb:

<strong>I received my new imac last monday: (My first mac)

Superdrive: IS A SONY DW-U10A and I think it supports DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW today I will test

Screen: BIG BIG BIG I love it

iMovie 3.0.1: Little bugs, in a project I lost a 30min work but no problem

Speed: I tested a new P4 3.0Ghz with 512Mb DDR333 WXP ATI 9000 128Mb and my new imac go faster REALLY! in everything except games (if you want games buy a PS2) the only think is that i will upgrade the memory from 256Mb

Safari: It loads web pages faster than IE and works well

More test coming... HAPPY</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which apps did you use to compare speed of P4 with iMac 17???? I did comparison of 2.5 P4 with my 3 yr old 0.8 P3 and I noted very little difference in speed (I was shocked!)

I off to store to look at iMac 17 and PowerMac 1.25 Dual ...since most of my apps are business related (Excel, Word,AIM,Internet via AOL and Internet via RR) and heavy multi-tasking (tracking news, stock,weather on continuous basis), I am not sure if the iMac 17 will be adequate (I would get at least 768 RAM)...prefer iMac 17 due to size and wide flat screen). Any opinion??????

Pls keep us potential switchers involved!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Congratulations!! Have fun with your new iMac!!