whither the mac mini commercial?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
um, anyone know if there will be a mac mini commercial? seems like it's tough to convince the masses to switch with it if they aren't, you know, advertising it outside of the internet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't think Apple will advertise until Tiger hits. Make that I'm "praying" that Apple advertises Tiger and the Mini. It's now or never.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    try to find one person who hasn't at least heard that apple released a small, affordable computer. they may not know what it's called, but if they're interested they'll go to apple.com and find out more details. with iPod doing all the work, word of mouth is enough for apple right now.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    There are a few comments here.

First, it appears as though Apple is selling as many Mac minis as they can make right now. Creating more demand through advertising (assuming that will work) isn't necessarily in Apple's best interest until supply/demand balance has stabilized and manufacturing capacity (possibly) increased.

Second, (and this is a guess) a key target customer for the product is likely to be the student (college or otherwise), buying closer to the fall...so it makes little sense to advertise now...and then not necessarily in the mass media venues.

Third, in most of the U.S., daylight savings time just happened. Why does this matter? Because there is now suddenly "more" daylight. Why does this matter? Well, because people's habits tend to begin a major shift about now toward their outdoor, summertime activities (less time sitting in front of computers and TVs...more gardening, mowing, playing softball, etc.) Large numbers of people are probably not thinking much about buying computers right now...again, closer to fall makes more sense.

Fourth, advertising is expensive...especially the mass market (full page ads, TV spots, etc.) that most people are talking about when they say "why doesn't Apple advertise X?" It is very expensive, and not very efficient. Apple's marketing guys no doubt know this.

There is probably more...but those are some of the key points I'll bet.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well I'm not saying Apple has to advertise Tiger right now..but later summer they need to start banging the drum. Advertising is expensive but if you have a great product the increased sales should more than cover your advertising expenses.

Let's start seeing some clever adds produced in Final Cut Pro/Shake/Motion that show how clever Tiger is and how svelte the Mac mini is underneath a 20" Cinema Display.