Argh, Disappearing Network Icon woe!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, got a new powerbook the other week and I have noticed that my Network Icon (from my computer) has since disappeared (just the name remains), I searched the web and found that if I delete my finder prefs file then reboot then it comes back, but it just keeps happening, the only change I make to finder is to make the desktop icons 64p and have all folders organised by name... apart from that I do nothing else.

It was happening on the vanilla installation (im pretty sure) as I didnt install anything else until I was happy with the way things worked (windows switcher).

Anyone know a permanent solution?

(If i delete the prefs, logout and log back in its there, but disappears after a reboot)

Thanks!

edit -also how do i get back the "my computer" icon in finder i tried deleting the sidebar prefs already and that didnt bring it back... Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You can add the computer and network back to the sidebar by using sidebar preferences under, finder preferences. The same thing happened to a couple of our machines. The network icon was just turned off, but it never was before. Mabey it happened on are last update, it took us a bit to remember about that pref. At the same time we couldn't see any of our share network volumes, but cleaning out the cache files(per others on the board) fixed that.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ripkordripkord Posts: 78member
    Nice, I have the computer back, sorry I wasnt specific before I meant the network icon in "my computer" itself if you know what I mean, when I click on the computer I have a blank Icon where network should be and the Hard disk icon which is fine...

I'll try clearing the caches anyway, although Im sure cocktail does that.