easy way to "clone" a user in os x? (of sorts!)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey all,

just decided i want to create a 2nd user for use with logic and music production stuff. all of my software is set up and installed on the primary user, was wondering if there's an easy way to clone a user and then "strip it down" to the bare necessities.

how can i do this??

thanks!

jon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    what do you mean? You didn't install to the Applications folder? I would thinkyou could drage the app but do so at your own risk
  • Reply 2 of 10
    the apps folder is not part of a single user. it is shared between all users. you can open all your apps in all your users. You won't be able to open the app in the other user since the permissions are set for this user only. you need to change the permissions and then move it.

hope this helps
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i mean i want all my application preferences transfered. otherwise i have to reinstall the applications to get them all running. they are audio apps with authorisation and protection. this would take a long time!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Assuming you have an up-to-date full system backup (which everyone should), you could create a user account and then copy/paste (not cut, copy) to the new user.

To do this you will need to create the new accoutn then go to applications>Untilites>NetInfo Manager and go to Security>authenticate. Now turn on the root user. Next go to system prefs and on the accounts go to login options (or somehting liek that). Select the one that is not icons and users. Log out and then enter root as the login and the password.

When you are finished, log back in and reverse the above steps
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Why not just create the new user, then copy your Preferences folder and paste it into the new user's Library folder? Or paste the whole Library folder into the new user folder.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ok, getting there. used the root user to copy the whole library file across and set the permissions accordingly, but not the new user doesn't seem to save settings; dock set up etc. why is this?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyboy

ok, getting there. used the root user to copy the whole library file across and set the permissions accordingly, but not the new user doesn't seem to save settings; dock set up etc. why is this?

Maybe those folders have root owner, and the account can't write to them?

Try repairing permissions, although I don't know if that will fix this particular thing.

See what the permissions are on the Preferences and Library folders.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Why didn't you listen to Jwink3101 and lundy?

The both are utterly right.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Why didn't you listen to Jwink3101 and lundy?

The both are utterly right.

i followed jwink's instructions!\
  • Reply 10 of 10
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

i followed jwink's instructions!\

Sorry i meant "Lundy" only. After reread - jwink's instructions

seem to be very special for casual users.

Granted, Lundy was a bit confusing too. In order to copy

one library (or whatever) from one user to another you need to

store the library either into the shared folder first or

onto a different volume.

From there you can drag the content of the Library into your

home library. Do not substitute the "Library" folder itself.

Generally there is no need to play around with "netinfo.app"

or "Root" privileges.

hope that helps in your future decisions.