How to Condense Audio Books in iTunes Library?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've backed up a couple of my audio books from CDs to iTunes. I've made a playlist for each. But I am tired of having to scroll past all of the tracks from each book in the iTunes library. Is there any way to in essence "condense" them in the library (kind of like putting all of the tracks from one in a folder). That way, each would take up just one line, rather than 20 or 30 in the iTunes library listing.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Hi Slackula,

I have not found a way to do that within iTunes. But I do have a work around.

Download Rejoiner from versiontracker.com. It's an MP3 utility that lets you join MP3 files. You'll need to make sure the files are named properly so they are sequential and get joined together properly.

There is one thing that I find a bit odd about the program, but other than that it works great. You need to disable the "Copy Songs to iTunes folder when adding to library" button under the "advanced" preferences tab. Then once it has merged the file you can turn that preference back on and import the file. However, It will leave a bunch of empty files in your itunes playlist that have to be manually thrown away. At least it does on my computer.

Now this creates another problem I had. Which was Listening to a long file I always lost where I was. So, in itunes, under the advanced menu "Convert selection to AAC". Then download "Make Bookmarkable" for iTunes written by Doug Adams.

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/

This is a little script that when installed you can convert your AAC file into a Bookmarkable file similar to an audible.com file (These files remember where they were last played and resume playing from there even if you play a few songs in between listening to your book).

And the last problem I ran across. Books longer than 11 hours seemed to go all wonky when I tried to convert them to AAC. so I downloaded "Xmp3split" from versiontracker.com, Split those larger MP3 files (not the AAC files) into 2 or 3 parts and then did the above process.

Sorry for getting carried away here, but I thought you may run into the same things I did with the larger single files.