Mini - Speed 256NB vs. 1GB?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm very happy with my purchase of a Mac Mini. But I have the standard memory (256MB).

For those of you that added 1GB RAM, how much better did our Mini run? Faster or still slow?

The biggest problem that I'm having is switching programs. There's a noticeable lag when changing programs. The Dock has 2 or 3 second delay at times. Right clicking also slows down too. But when I only have one program running it's very fast.

Will the extra memory eliminate that?

-Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Scott,

Yes, the memory upgrade is what you need. You'll be surprised. Your mini will really speed then. A 512 stick would take a lot of that away, but a gig is even better. 256 is too little. You'll really be happy, if you put a 512 or 1GB stick in there! You won't regret it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

The biggest problem that I'm having is switching programs. There's a noticeable lag when changing programs. The Dock has 2 or 3 second delay at times. Right clicking also slows down too. But when I only have one program running it's very fast.

Will the extra memory eliminate that?

-Scott

Yep. Those particular behaviors are when the machine has to bring in data from virtual memory.

Check this out: launch Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and click System Memory. What does it say down at the bottom under "Page Ins/Outs"?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Yep. Those particular behaviors are when the machine has to bring in data from virtual memory.

Check this out: launch Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder) and click System Memory. What does it say down at the bottom under "Page Ins/Outs"?

Hi Lundy,

Pageins: 904,582

Pageouts: 742,424

Uptime: 2 days 2 hours and 40 min.

I just sent my order to Crucial about 30 minutes ago. Have to go to the hardware store for that extra "thin" putty knife!

-Scott
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Pageins: 904,582

Pageouts: 742,424

That's a lot of pageouts relative to the pageins. More RAM will definitely help.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

That's a lot of pageouts relative to the pageins. More RAM will definitely help.

Yup. It's using VM like crazy.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Like night and day. You'll never regret that purchase. When you see the speed increase, you'll wonder why you ever thought the processor was important.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

Like night and day. You'll never regret that purchase. When you see the speed increase, you'll wonder why you ever thought the processor was important.

Mac Voyer and all other posters to this thread:

Dr. Scott has performed surgery on the the Mac Mini patient and now the patient has incredible brain capacity!

Was a little tough to get the case open. I wouldn't have a clue if it wasn't for that OWC video on how to open up the Mini. I used two different putty knives. But it wasn't till I used some bruit force and made the side of the Mini bow out that it finally popped open one side. The the other side was pretty easy after that. Then the next hurdle was getting the memory out. The tab that hold the memory in on the left side near the connector doesn't retract all the way. But a good tug and if came out. Putting it all back together isn't that hard except for the front of case. You have push the locking tabs back and then case snaps back together.

The machine is running much better!

-Scot