Chargin iPod Min w/out OSX, can i?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hey all,

these holidays im going to my dad's place. I want to drag along my iPod but im curious about charging. I use a USB 2.0 cable to charge it at home, but dad has an Apple G3 that's running OS9.2.2, so will i be able to charge my iPod while im there??

Also, out of curiosity, if i connected it to a PC with the USB cable, would it charge? i know i couldn't add/edit songs on it (without formatting it - and losing all the songs anywat), but could i just charge it?

thanks for your time

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    didnt your ipod come with an AC charger for the wall?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    no. The iPod Minis don't. i thought that was an optional extra with all iPods anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Currently only white iPods, U2 iPods and iPod Photo ship with the AC charger.

As for your initial question, you're out of luck unless you can find a USB 2 port. iPod won't charge on USB 1.x. I know this by experience as I have a PowerBook with a USB 1 port.

If you'll be without your mac, without 6-pin firewire ports or without USB 2 ports or without an AC charger you won't be able to charge it.

It sucks Apple won't include the wall charger with the minis. But I guess that's the price customers pay when Apple is forced to lower prices to keep up with the competition.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    well my dad's computer is a G3. Does anyone know if they came with USB 2.0? I know he's got atleast one firewire port, but i've no idea if he's got USB 2.0.... and i don't know if he'd know either.

If he doesnt then i can probably borrow a firewire cable of a friend. And the iPod will charge then, yes? I just wont be able to alter the songs on it, correct? In fact, it wont even appear on the Desktop will it?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife's mini that she got for X-mass came with a wall charger.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

well my dad's computer is a G3. Does anyone know if they came with USB 2.0? I know he's got atleast one firewire port, but i've no idea if he's got USB 2.0.... and i don't know if he'd know either.

No those G3s did not come with USB2. I don't think it existed back then. Unless I see an Apple Tech Note on it I can't believe that charging requires USB2. There's just no reason for it. Most Macs don't have USB2.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Current iPod minis (2nd gen) support both Firewire and USB2 for synching and charging. However, since they only include the USB2 cable and no wall charger anymore... Apple suggests you charge thru USB2 (or buy a wall charger, or buy a firewire cable, whatever works for you). Sucks, doesn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

If he doesnt then i can probably borrow a firewire cable of a friend. And the iPod will charge then, yes? I just wont be able to alter the songs on it, correct? In fact, it wont even appear on the Desktop will it?

I'm guessing you'll be able to charge thru your dad's computer firewire port and it probably won't appear on the desktop. I'm not sure the iPod works on OS 9. In any case, I advise you just go out and buy a USB wall charger. Not having one out of the box is a retarded move by Apple. They retail under 30 US Dollars so it's not a big investment and they come in very handy.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Yea I read the manuals for thoes iPods. It seems to be related to the PeeCees and not the Macs.