High-Def H.264 Video - How Fast A Computer Will You Need?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
do you think Apple is really going to force people to move to G5 to enjoy smooth and silky greater-than-DVD resolution video? or given that most PowerBooks are still on G4, (um, make that all new powerbooks currently shipping), do you anticipate Tiger and QuickTime7 having some really snazzy code to decode h.264 in a superlative way?

remember, i'm talking here for example, 16:9 ratio,

748x448 (or something, sorry, bad math)

1024x576 (this IS 16:9, just nice for 1024x768 laptops/screens)

1280x720 (HDTV 'lower spec')

1920x1080 (HDTV 'full spec')

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm playing a dvd-rip (720x400) h.264 clip in the backgroup right now.

About 80% CPU usage...

(Dual 1.4 G4 with 100mhz bus + radeon 9800 + Tiger) =
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It should work on current G4 hardware (I hope) without too much trouble. But even if we have to stick with lower resolutions, the data rate will be lower, which means less download time and more space on my hard drive. Both good things.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    my my some optimism here. we'll see

but your right, whatever it is, with the lower data rate, everybody wins.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    1920x1080 24p is INSANELY processor intensive.

This situation reminds me of when DVD players were just coming out and the first Macs had trouble playing them well. A few Macs came with co-processors or daughter boards just for the MPEG2 decoding.

Either tech companies have learned from that lesson and maybe, hopefully, the DVD players also help with decoding(???) or we're going to have to wait around a few more years of transition until all Macs are capable.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

1920x1080 24p is INSANELY processor intensive.

This situation reminds me of when DVD players were just coming out and the first Macs had trouble playing them well. A few Macs came with co-processors or daughter boards just for the MPEG2 decoding.

Either tech companies have learned from that lesson and maybe, hopefully, the DVD players also help with decoding(???) or we're going to have to wait around a few more years of transition until all Macs are capable.

h.264 onboard decoder chip on the Mac(!) video cards within 1-2 years

here's hoping...