Bonjour going cross platform

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Zero Configuration, Zero Hassles, Anywhere

Soon, anyone using a PC can take advantage of the effortlessness of Bonjour for free, too, as Apple will release a Windows version in the first half of 2005. The Bonjour Setup Wizard makes setting up a printer under Windows as easy as Mac OS X (we can?t make it as beautiful, unfortunately). Bonjour for Windows includes a plug-in for Internet Explorer, so you can setup a Bonjour-enabled device without knowing its IP address. You can even print to printers connected over USB to Airport Extreme Base Station or Airport Express. If you?re an Open Source enthusiast, you will be able to download the Bonjour source code to create software for virtually any platform.

Don't forget Firefox Apple. Don't fixate on just IE. Nice job on making it open source.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Zero Configuration, Zero Hassles, Anywhere

Soon, anyone using a PC can take advantage of the effortlessness of Bonjour for free, too, as Apple will release a Windows version in the first half of 2005. The Bonjour Setup Wizard makes setting up a printer under Windows as easy as Mac OS X (we can?t make it as beautiful, unfortunately). Bonjour for Windows includes a plug-in for Internet Explorer, so you can setup a Bonjour-enabled device without knowing its IP address. You can even print to printers connected over USB to Airport Extreme Base Station or Airport Express. If you?re an Open Source enthusiast, you will be able to download the Bonjour source code to create software for virtually any platform.

Don't forget Firefox Apple. Don't fixate on just IE. Nice job on making it open source.

whoa WTF MATE??

apple is going to be unstoppable!! woooo hoooo!!!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Where is that article/information? I'd like to read it in full? - sorry found it under the Bonjour section section - duh! (I'm slightly warming to the Bonjour name, but still don't think it's as good as redezvous)

I was setting up (sorry *trying* to set up) my Airport Express with Canon Pixma printer to use on my PC. I just couldn't do it. I had done it with my old HP printer, but windows just can't see the Canon printer. Good one Apple! It's what we need!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    There's been a preview of the Windows version available for a while now:

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/

Like danielctull, it was the only way I could get my wife's Dell laptop to print to our Canon i850 on the Airport Express. Works a treat.

It's good to see Apple are going to be pushing it further on other platforms .
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Dave: Sweet sweet saaaahweet! I'll give that a go right away, can't do much harm at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Dave: Sweet sweet saaaahweet! I'll give that a go right away, can't do much harm at the moment.

No problem . Hope it works - keep us posted.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Just to follow up here:

18:21:22 Clicked the install file

18:22:10 Restart needed

18:23:31 PC booted up

18:23:43 Clicked "Rendezvous Printer Wizard"

18:24:08 Printer added

18:24:14 Printing google.com to test

I love Rendezvous/Bonjour. It's in my top 5 reasons to buy a Mac (when telling friends, family etc).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Yay!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The only problem is that the Windows code does not feature the "link local" part of the spec, so you still have to either manually assign IP addresses or have a DHCP server. I really love the "just plug them in together and they just work" aspect of the link local part. I wish Apple would quit defending it as proprietary...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    i'm going to download the bonjour preview for windows to install on my win2000 machine with 802.11b wireless card and see if it makes it easier to talk between windows peecee and my iBook through wireless... and yeah, maybe even printing to the canon ip1500 usb printer connected to the windows pee cee from my iBook

whoa... this sounds way way too ambitious. but apple makes you do the improssible. Think imPossible

Microsucks can go kiss my A55.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Man Sunil...you've been pretty gung ho lately! Go get'em!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Man Sunil...you've been pretty gung ho lately! Go get'em!

thanks mate wish me luck
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

The only problem is that the Windows code does not feature the "link local" part of the spec, so you still have to either manually assign IP addresses or have a DHCP server. I really love the "just plug them in together and they just work" aspect of the link local part. I wish Apple would quit defending it as proprietary...

Can you expound on this? I haven't really kept up on everything rendev... er... bonjour related.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    A couple years ago at the O'Reilly OS X conference I met Stuart Chesire, the guy who wrote Bonjour. He gave an amazing session, and I had a great long talk with him. I actually wrote a post a couple years ago outlining our conversation. Anyway, on his card his title at Apple is "Wizard Without Portfolio". I just think that is really cool.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Wow, that name sounded familiar.

I remember playing his networked multi-player game "Bolo" on a 9600 baud modem! Apparently, he's still working on networking code...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moderator note: Printer Sharing subthread split out and is now in Genius Bar. Just for neatness.