Apple 'authorized' super drive for Quicksilver

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quicksilver G4. Needs a Superdrive. Needs to fit the case and the tray tip. Replacing the stock CDRW.



Anybody have a linky to where I can buy/ebay one? Cost is a factor.



Thx!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,132member
    Why don't you just check out Accelerateyourmac.com's Drive Database



    http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso



    Find your Mac...find what drives works and then go to Patchburn.de and download the software. Voila...support in iTunes and other Apple apps.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Spiff! Thx!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,132member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

    Spiff! Thx!



    Cool man let us know what model you choose. I like the Pioneer DV-109. Fast and works great with patchburn according to the reviews. The only thing you will run into is playing DVD Movies. DVD ROM will work perfectly.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Cool man let us know what model you choose. I like the Pioneer DV-109. Fast and works great with patchburn according to the reviews. The only thing you will run into is playing DVD Movies. DVD ROM will work perfectly.



    I have a DVR-109 in my Sawtooth AGP. Patchburned and works like a champ with evrything I use. Not sure what you mean about the playing DVD movies part, all the dvds I have watched play fine...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

    Quicksilver G4. Needs a Superdrive. Needs to fit the case and the tray tip. Replacing the stock CDRW.



    Anybody have a linky to where I can buy/ebay one? Cost is a factor.



    Thx!




    DVR-106/107 are directly compatable with OSX (no patch burn) and will fit a Quicksilver case without any modification. You can find the DVR-106's for cheap on ebay - just flash up to the DVR-107 firmware for 8X burns. Works like a charm.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,132member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by opuscroakus

    I have a DVR-109 in my Sawtooth AGP. Patchburned and works like a champ with evrything I use. Not sure what you mean about the playing DVD movies part, all the dvds I have watched play fine...



    SWEET!!! I was actually told that movies couldn't be played from another source. Glad that's not true thanks for clearing that up. I'm thinking about grabbing a DVR-109 myself what do you think of the burn and rip speeds?



    Guys I think you just saved NUM some money
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Burn speeds are great. Great rip speeds in iTunes also. Up to 40X burning with CD-R, 16X with DVD-R, 6X with dual-layer. I only have 8X DVD-R media so that is all I have burned at so far. No coasters at 8X but I usually use what I consider decent media. I haven't done any dual-layer burns yet... \



    murchy, I'm still not quite sure what you mean by playing movies from "another source". Apple DVD player works great with this drive. semi-fly is also spot on, I had a DVR-107 before the 109 and all iApps worked perfectly with it without any firmware hacks.



    NUM, if you don't care about dual layer burning, I would go for the DVR-106/7/8.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by opuscroakus

    NUM, if you don't care about dual layer burning, I would go for the DVR-106/7/8.



    This is VERY helpful news. Thank you very much! So to summarize (correct me if I'm wrong) all three of these should work without flashing, but if I get a 109, it will need flashing(and my not play movies)?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,132member
    Quote:

    murchy, I'm still not quite sure what you mean by playing movies from "another source". Apple DVD player works great with this drive. semi-fly is also spot on, I had a DVR-107 before the 109 and all iApps worked perfectly with it without any firmware hacks.



    It means I deferred my inquiry to another person and they told me movies wouldn't work. I thought it was strange but I assumed he was speaking from experience. I'm glad to be proven wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    murch - gotcha



    NUM - As far as I understand it, none of those 3 "need" a firmware patch to work with iApps.



    DVR-108 = 16X DVD single layer burner

    DVR-107 = 8X DVD slb

    DVR-106 = 4X or 6X DVD slb



    The DVR-106 can be flashed up to the DVR-107 burning speeds. I don't know if the 106 and 107 can be flashed up to a 108 though.



    8)
Sign In or Register to comment.