Apple Education Discount

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey I was wondering how strict they are with the education discount? Do they check with the school if you are currently going there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    They need proof of current enrollment, and for student developers at least, your student ID#. Assume that yes, they are checking. I've heard of more than one person who was caught and the difference retroactively billed to them.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I bought the AirPort Express at my local Apple Store last week. I handed my student ID and driver license to the cashier. He spent a couple minutes to type in all the information and gave me the discount.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Thanks for the info, I don't have an Apple Store near me so it looks like I'll just pay full price.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Order online. Edu store prices are there too, honor system, at least for small stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Yeah, if you go through the online store, they don't ask for proof. Some people say they've had a *check" I never did, but I was also legitimate.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Order online. Edu store prices are there too, honor system, at least for small stuff.

Small stuff, how small? Do you think that they would check on the Tiger OS? I thought about taking advantage of the Amazon Rebate, but would really like to save instantly. You never know if a rebate check is actually going to materialize.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I've never had them ask on software, haven't bought a CPU online except as a student dev which is different. I'm awaiting my edu Tiger pre-order, and yes I am legit if they wanted to ask.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

I've never had them ask on software, haven't bought a CPU online except as a student dev which is different. I'm awaiting my edu Tiger pre-order, and yes I am legit if they wanted to ask.

As a student developer you should receive the final build for free. At least that's the way it was when I was a student.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    That's true, but I haven't kept current on the student dev. I am just a regular free dev now, who still happens to be a student. Buying Tiger edu at $69 + tax + free shipping costs less than the $99 a year. About all I loose is the t-shirt because all the mailing docs are online as far as I could tell. It was great for the first year when I used it for the HW discount.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

That's true, but I haven't kept current on the student dev. I am just a regular free dev now, who still happens to be a student. Buying Tiger edu at $69 + tax + free shipping costs less than the $99 a year. About all I loose is the t-shirt because all the mailing docs are online as far as I could tell. It was great for the first year when I used it for the HW discount.

Smart. The student dev hardware discount is a fantastic way to save money on some gear. And its a good way for Apple to transition professionals in to the program when they're out of school.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I dont remember getting checked when I bought my iBook two years ago. Though that was two years ago and things could have changed - or I could have just forgotten (more likely).

Asaph