WTF is going on with my iMac G5?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't know if anyone else has these problems, but I think my iMac is overheating a lot. Basically what happens is, out of nowhere, the fans just pick up incredibly fast and go full-tilt continually. During this time, the computer lags incredibly and it drops the network connection.

The only solution to this is to reboot but it usually starts again. The computer isn't in a place that would facilitate the computer being more hot than usual.

Anyone have this problem and can offer suggestions? Should I just take it to get serviced?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Open Activity Monitor (Applications->Utilities), click the "%CPU" column header to sort the processes by CPU usage (make sure the little blue arrow in the column header is pointing DOWN, meaning sort by largest first). Leave Activity Monitor open and running in the Dock.

When you get the fan rev-up and the sluggishness, quickly switch to Activity Monitor and look at what is at the top of the %CPU column.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Open Activity Monitor (Applications->Utilities), click the "%CPU" column header to sort the processes by CPU usage (make sure the little blue arrow in the column header is pointing DOWN, meaning sort by largest first). Leave Activity Monitor open and running in the Dock.

When you get the fan rev-up and the sluggishness, quickly switch to Activity Monitor and look at what is at the top of the %CPU column.

Absolutely correct.

Instead I would use terminal "top" command anyway,

because changes are that changing to Terminal.app

is faster, than changing to Activity.app. And as far as

i understood, every second counts.

my2c